North Twin Sister-West Ridge

AlpinistAndrew

Saturday, two of my friends and I decided to attempt the West Ridge of South Twin. We started at the gate by the middle fork of the Nooksack. We had hike maybe a mile up the trail, when a pickup rolled up. They asked us if we wanted a ride and of course we said yes, so we jumped in the back and they drove us until you could drive no further. They were three guys from WWU, the were going to ski the North Slope of North Twin. So we plodded on, we finally reached a point where we were deciding which logging road to take to get to the North-South Twin basin, so we could access south twins west ridge. we finally found the right road (there is some flagging and a piece of tin foil there). We did a bit of bushwacking, until we caught view of the west ridge. We saw we wouldn't have enough time to do the west ridge of s. twin, so we scramble up to the ridge crest of n. twin's west ridge. We climbed up, but the farthest anyone got was the steep headwall, just below the false summit. So, we descened the west ridge. It didn't really matter to me, since I have climbed the route before. Also we didn't bring a rope or anything. Then we made the grueling hike out of there. Overall it was fun of course, awesome views and perfect weather. The snow on the north slope area was perfect for skiing/snowboarding. I plan to go back and do the west ridge of s. twin, but as an overnight, its such a long somewhat complicated approach.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know the roads in there are complicated. Do you have detail on the roads? Like any numbers, distances, take a left at the road that has a snag? Kind of thing to get to the base of South Twin sister. I have been interested too in the South Twin and would appreciate any information.

Yeah, I have come to know many of the roads in the area well, considering it took me several attempts last year to even get to the base of the ridge (those damn roads). There was a thread about how to get to the base of the west ridge of n. twin, so you can read that on how to get to Daily prairie, the jumping off point for routes on n and s twin. There are several ways to get to south twin, I'll tell you the way we tried. You hike along the daily prairie road, but instead of taking the second spur road on the left that goes to west ridge of north twin, you keep hiking to the next spur road. You follow this road for a ways, staying on the main road (its easy to follow), unitl you are in the middle of an old clear cut. The main road continues to the right, crossing a creek immediatly (Don't go that way). Take a left off the main road that head directly for a bowl between the two peaks. There is a piece of tinfoil and some surveryers tape here. Follow the road as far as you can, then just hug the side of N. Twin and go through the trees until you reach the bowl between the two peaks. You can see the W. Rdige of S. Twin and just walk across to it. This is a long approach and like i said, would be a good overnighter. fruit.gif

I love the west ridge of the South Twin. I like the summit much better too. During the summer there is a nice bivy spot at the top.

The approach can be a bit complicated. Don't follow the whole ridge in its entirety. I've done this, just takes a long time and lots of bushwacking, but is fun, if your sick and twisted like me. Get to the ridge from the bowl between the N. and S. Twins. Ascend one of the moderate snow slopes to the W. Ridge low down. Watch out for Avi and rockfall if you decide to go for the notch between the peaks.

On the ridge itself, there are a couple of exposed sections, but it is a lot easier than the N. Twin, just a lot longer. Near the top, before a steep wall, traverse up and right across a snow field and up and right to the summit.

I can do the S. Twin in about 10-12 round trip during the summer. Thats with long breaks and a partner. Camping is probably a good idea for winter.