Dee Molenaar has passed at 101

CascadeClimber

Godspeed and heavenly first ascents with Fred to Dee Molenaar, who has departed the Cascades at 101.

Dee and Fred may have known more about the Cascades than everyone alive combined. I feel fortunate to have lived while they did, and was inspired by their adventures, writings, and antics.

https://www.seattlepi.com/local/politics/article/Dee-Molenaar-RIP-at-101-and-The-Brotherhood-of-14993166.php

Edited by CascadeClimber
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, CascadeClimber said:

I feel fortunate to have lived while they did, and was inspired by their adventures, writings, and antics.

Amen. 

Thanks for letting us know.  I talked with Fred a number of times, but never had the honor of meeting Dee.  

13 hours ago, CascadeClimber said:

Dee and Fred may have known more about the Cascades than everyone alive combined.

How about Roland Tabor and the late Peter Misch?  Joe Vance,  Eric Cheney and Don Swanson?

Edited by num1mc

I visited Dee a few times over the years. Great fun. When he found out we had done Curtis Ridge he asked us to sign his copy of Challenge of Rainier. I thought that was an honor. 

Some trivia, when Dee came home from K2 his wife decided that she did not want to be married to a climber. Dee's second wife was much more understanding. She was a peach.

• 3 months later...