Best fleece for homemade pertex pile with windshirt??

DanO

Thinking of using my pertex equilibrium windshirt with pile fleece as a homemade pertex pile combo. 

What I think I want I can't find,  a simple fleece with pile on the inside and smooth surface on the outside. I have a montane extreme smock and it's pile is made in this way and it works very well. I suspect pile on both sides or only on the outside would not work as well moving moisture inside out. 

Also Is waffle fleece better or worse than pile? Also Dont want any sort of wind blocker fleece. 

Alternatively I am using brynje mesh thermal top which works very well under the windshirt. Would I be better off to double up on the brynje mesh, if colder, or in more rain ? That seems a lighter option.

Thanks 

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.trailspace.com/gear/u.s.-military/ecwcs-gen-ii-brown-bear-jacket/

Function verses style? The jacket above looks to be all heavy function.

As far as I know the proper pile is the heavy pile on the inside and smooth face on the outside. In this way the pile points on the inside wick water away and the fuzzy air pockets keep a dry microcliment on the skin, if the hiker is generating heat. The smooth face outside helps move water away , the pile yjacket should be very breathable.  So far I have not found a modern pile only shirt which is climber or hiker orientated, with this type of construction. 

If I was going to make a pile pertex layering system it would be a wind shirt for walk in, with or without a base layer. Then a separate hooded pile shirt, either micro pile or heavy pile.  

Then mix and match as you like. Can use/carry either heavy pile shirt or light one as needed. 

The vent zips of pile shirt and wind shirt should match up. Many possible designs for venting.

This pertex pile layering system should be good for most conditions while moving in bad weather.  

I am surprised no one is making this system. Maybe weight savings is not there??

By the way pertex equlibrium fabric as a wind shirt is very breathable and comfortable on the skin, it as comfortable as a base layer.

Edited by DanO

I may be wrong about the smooth face outside helping to move water away, verses a fuzzy outside face ? In any case a smooth outside face will help prevent major water absorption in rain. So this is the reason for this design with pertex  I think.

If one was using a waterproof breathable shell then may want fuzz on outside face.

Why my interest in pertex pile? I have been out in winter with wet clothes from sweat and rain. And got very cold and even when moving generating body heat, hard to impossible to dry out. Cold even with a synthetic puffy on. It seems the cold and wetness does not leave even with good quality layers, when it sets in.

So I bought montane extreme bibs and smock with heavy pile for winter usage, it is heavy and bulky. However with this and a Brooks range bothy bag I figure hypothermia is almost impossible for me in the cascades. That pile really sucks wetness from the body, must experience it to understand.  For me I am sweaty when going uphill, even if cold , so I carry the montane over clothes in the pack until needed.

However would like to find something a little lighter and hill hiker friendly in weight and bulk.  Less in the pack, more on the body. Thinking of all the options of pile and pertex , buffalo stuff, etc. There are endless possible combos.

I'm not to familiar with Montane as a brand but I've used a Patagonia R1 hoody with a Rab Boreas pullover on top.  It seems like it has similar functionality to what you're talking about.  When I'm backcountry skiing I run a bit warm with the R1 so if it's above 25 I use some other base layer.  I dunno if that helps or not.

It seems like you're looking for the Ascendant jacket from Outdoor Research.  It has soft Polartec Alpha pile facing the body with air gaps and is covered by a pertex shell.  Since getting one it's become one of my favorite cozy jackets both in the mountains and around town.

• 3 years later...
On 11/14/2019 at 7:16 PM, DanO said:

Why my interest in pertex pile? I have been out in winter with wet clothes from sweat and rain. And got very cold and even when moving generating body heat, hard to impossible to dry out. Cold even with a synthetic puffy on. It seems the cold and wetness does not leave even with good quality layers, when it sets in.

So I bought montane extreme bibs and smock with heavy pile for winter usage, it is heavy and bulky. However with this and a Brooks range bothy bag I figure hypothermia is almost impossible for me in the cascades. That pile really sucks wetness from the body, must experience it to understand.  For me I am sweaty when going uphill, even if cold , so I carry the montane over clothes in the pack until needed.

However would like to find something a little lighter and hill hiker friendly in weight and bulk.  Less in the pack, more on the body. Thinking of all the options of pile and pertex , buffalo stuff, etc. There are endless possible combos.

what did you end up with?

im looking to do the same

im using a paramo ostro jacket as windshell and looking for a fibre pile solution

brgds

Jens