How do we add photos to an article?

Otto

1)  I gather there is no longer a Gallery.  I'm guessing we have to use a photo-hosting site like photobucket.com or something.  What are people doing to get photos onto cc.com?

2)  I use Google Drive for some things.  Does anyone know if it is possible, in a post, to link to photos stored in there?  If so, can you point me to, or post, some sample code?

I have some trip reports for new routes, with photos, that I'd like to post soon.  Any help on posting photos will be appreciated.  Thanks,

Bill Enger

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi @Otto good to have you looking for this info!  You'll notice that you can choose files from the bottom of a post, which is pretty easy if they are saved locally.  If they aren't you can post a link to the photo and I think it will work, but for the long term it really is better if you can upload to the site (I export from Lightroom at lower res and upload directly to cc.com).

But, to show that it works from Google Photos, here's this from my account (you have to click on photo then right click and copy image location):

4bJJrF1aktEfrhUcJsn7piMx41uHfit0ZXD6ssNF

I'm not sure that it works from Google Drive, but I hope it is similar?

(I export from Lightroom at lower res and upload directly to cc.com).

Thanks, JasonG.  I would like to do this, but I can't find a menu item or button to upload to cc.com.  Can you please describe where it is?  I use the Chrome browser if that matters.  There used to be a Main menu item for "Gallery" but no more.  Where to start?

Bill

OK so I got the local photo upload figured out.  At first, it didn't seem like making an "attachment" was what I wanted, but now I do.  Thank you!

I haven't had any success linking to photos on Drive.  Does anyone have the specifics on doing this?  Thanks again,

Bill

@Otto- I tried to link to a photo on G-drive and it doesn't seem to work like Google Photos. 

Still, it isn't hard to save from G-Drive locally and then upload to the site.  In the long term that really is better than a link which can break.  Old TRs are littered with them....

Thanks for working thru this!

• 1 year later...

i gave up on tr's b/c i was either too drunk or too dumb to figure out how to make photos work anymore after the gallery fucked off - how durst one do this these days? how do i make the magic picture-thingy in my smart-thingy talk to the great-big-cc.com-daddy in the sky? large font descriptions explaining how to do this with less than 6 words a sentence and photos with picture and arrows and paragraphs explaining what each one is would be swell. :)

ah jimney crickets guys it works. i swear i did some instructions on how to do this a while back.  WHY CAN'T YOU GUYS JUST FIGURE IT OUT??????

I'm just so slammed with work these days.  I think @jon  just doesn't have a lot of time either.   But I still do love you guys.  I just gotta pay the bills. Kid is at the UW soaking up all my money.

3 hours ago, olyclimber said:

WHY CAN'T YOU GUYS JUST FIGURE IT OUT??????

Well, I trust @Bronco is just trying the "choose files" option at the bottom of the little box here and is running into size issues?  I always re-size from Lightroom when I do TRs so I haven't ever had issues.  Also, I don't have an iPhone.  That also seems to be an issue, those HEIC files.

3 hours ago, JasonG said:

Well, I trust @Bronco is just trying the "choose files" option at the bottom of the little box here and is running into size issues?  I always re-size from Lightroom when I do TRs so I haven't ever had issues.  Also, I don't have an iPhone.  That also seems to be an issue, those HEIC files.

@Bronco I hear they make these pumps. anyway,  the nice girls say that its how you use it, not the size.

Yeah, likely you'll need to convert from HEIC to something else. Sorry.

Let me try to upload a big picture to see the big picture.

On 9/29/2019 at 12:18 PM, Otto said:

OK so I got the local photo upload figured out.  At first, it didn't seem like making an "attachment" was what I wanted, but now I do.  Thank you!

I haven't had any success linking to photos on Drive.  Does anyone have the specifics on doing this?  Thanks again,

Bill

Hi Bill!  What is "Drive"?  I'll take a look.

Problem with Google Drive is it doesn't give you an URL to the photo with the photo image type extension (like .jpg or whatever). So the board doesn't know how to render it.  So you'd need to download it from Google Drive and upload it here unfortunately.

Like this

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xNbzKartGxDXi63Cz6T23ICaHP4yN9VI

See? No file extension in that URL.