Beta on Via Ferratas in the Dolomites

RichardKorry

Next summer I'm going to be in Europe in the Mount Blanc area to do the UTMB.
Since I'm there I thought it would be fun to do some Via Ferratas in the Dolomites
I am waiting for one of the guides to the VFs from the library.
I'm looking from some beta from folks that have done some VFs there and to try and get a better idea of the experience.
I've looked around on the web and most of the sites are geared to get you to hire a guide.
I'm hoping to avoid the cost of a guide and to do 2 or 3 fun VFs.
I'd be happy climbing 4th class to mid-5th class routes.
Information on any particular refugios or hostel/hotels in towns that were stellar (or not) would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One certainly does not need a guide but for some one certainly needs to get up early. Otherwise you will spend the day butt sniffing (i.e. being behind people). What are you going to have for transportation ? Having a vehicle is not an absolute but is certainly more efficient. I have done routes around Moena, Corvara In Badia, and Tres Cima. 

Thanks for the info. Is there any relationship with how crowded the routes are and their level of difficulty? I'm happy leaving the easier ones to the crowds if so.
In general I prefer to use public transit and walk but if having a car is way more efficient then I'm up for trying. How was your experience renting and driving cars in Italy?

Where there any huts or towns you found particularly noteworthy?

A few years ago I spent a month in Italy, 3 weeks in the Dolomites hiking, VFing and climbing.  Cicerone publishes great guides by specific region of the Dolomites.  You don't need to hire a guide - but having a car helps a lot as the trailheads and the public transport don't always match up well and you can get to the base early and beat the crowds on the popular ones. 

We stayed in Arabba at a lodge owned by Brits - Collette's Mountain Lodge or something like that.  We also stayed in a couple small towns and just found lodging when we showed up.  We worked in an 8 day hut-to-hut hike that was great.

My advice would be just plan an itenerary around the VF guide where you will be planning to stay.  And spring for a VF kit, you don't want a static setup as your safety backup.

On 9/7/2019 at 5:40 PM, RichardKorry said:

Thanks for the info. Is there any relationship with how crowded the routes are and their level of difficulty? I'm happy leaving the easier ones to the crowds if so.
In general I prefer to use public transit and walk but if having a car is way more efficient then I'm up for trying. How was your experience renting and driving cars in Italy?

Where there any huts or towns you found particularly noteworthy?

Yes. The easier the route, the more butt sniffing. The more historic the route, the more butt sniffing. The more scenic the route, the more butt sniffing.

We rented a car in Milano and drove like mad Italians. Definitely makes the trip more optimal.

Look up the places I mentioned. Two are towns one is a park with huts. 

Edited by ScaredSilly