Need a new camera

needtoclimb

Looking for suggestions for a new camera for alpine/mountain climbs.   My old one is taking crappy pictures now days (probably too many times being dropped), and I tried my phone a few times but don't really like it.  While normal pictures on the phone are fine, I recently found out that most phones don't actually zoom.  They just crop and expand the picture, leaving you with a very blurry picture. 

Any suggestions for a fairly rugged, light-weight camera?

2 hours ago, olyclimber said:

if you can afford a Sony RX100, that is a pimpin camera

Totally!  You could also go with the G7 or  G5 from Canon which are a bit cheaper.   The key with any decent digital camera is to shoot RAW, and and post process in something like Lightroom.  I personally prefer the Canon interface to Sony, but both will be far superior to a phone pic, esp. when zooming. 

• 5 weeks later...

Another recommendation for the RX100. I just got the Mark 6 and it is a sweet camera. In terms of photo quality it doesn't seem worse than my Canon T3i which is awesome considering that it fits in a pocket and doesn't require carrying multiple lenses. The viewfinder is awesome for shooting on snow.

Panasonic Lumix LX100. Big (MFT) sensor, Leica F1.7 lens. Shoots RAW, has EVF (Sony RX100 does not have EVF, which makes it impossible to shoot in bright conditions). Has actual dials, which allow to shoot with your gloves on. ATM it's the best compact camera on the market. 

Also there is a thread on the lens, and you can use filters. 

Edited by glassgowkiss

• 1 year later...

I have a Nikon D5500 with 10-24mm lens.  Amazing picture, I'll shoot RAW and then editing in Lightroom.  But,  it's a large camera.  Not very heavy, but just large.  On one of my expeditions, person had a Sony RX100 III.  We did share emails and he was kind to share his pictures from from the trip, again, he used the RX100 III.  Amazing.  Pictures were great.  He told me that pictures in low-light will not be as perfect as with the Nikon D5500, but quality of the RX100 is great.  And you can shoot RAW.  I have been looking and RX100 III got for $350-$425 on Ebay.  

I also looked into Olympus TG-6, terrible!!!  JPG and RAW,  just terrible.  

I've been following this thread and appreciate the inputs. My mantra has always been that the best camera is the one in your hand when the right moment arrives. A fancy, large camera that gets left at home or basecamp isn't going to be of much use to me for climbing and outdoor activities. I want the best performance possible from something that will still fit in my pocket and is relatively rugged - I want it to be OK if dropped occasionally, resist dust and moisture well enough to not need to be coddled in its own case all the time, has decent battery life in cold/chilly conditions. I have had the Lumix100, but eventually dust got into the housing and caused problems w the lens motor. This was fixed by the mfr but problems returned. It's basically toast at this point, but I did get a number of good years out of it.

Thoughts?

Thx

2 minutes ago, Rad said:

I've been following this thread and appreciate the inputs. My mantra has always been that the best camera is the one in your hand when the right moment arrives. A fancy, large camera that gets left at home or basecamp isn't going to be of much use to me for climbing and outdoor activities. I want the best performance possible from something that will still fit in my pocket and is relatively rugged - I want it to be OK if dropped occasionally, resist dust and moisture well enough to not need to be coddled in its own case all the time, has decent battery life in cold/chilly conditions. I have had the Lumix100, but eventually dust got into the housing and caused problems w the lens motor. This was fixed by the mfr but problems returned. It's basically toast at this point, but I did get a number of good years out of it.

Thoughts?

Thx

Well, another option is a GoPro, but that is more "video" focused and less "photo".  For me, I will look into getting a Sony RX100 model.  I don't think any of the water, dust proof cameras are good.  As I said, I had the Olympus TG6 and it was the worse camera I ever owned.  I'm glad Best Buy had a 14 day return policy.

Unless others can suggest a good water/dust proof. 

50 minutes ago, summit4life said:

Well, another option is a GoPro, but that is more "video" focused and less "photo".  For me, I will look into getting a Sony RX100 model.  I don't think any of the water, dust proof cameras are good.  As I said, I had the Olympus TG6 and it was the worse camera I ever owned.  I'm glad Best Buy had a 14 day return policy.

Unless others can suggest a good water/dust proof. 

Thanks. I have a go-pro that I use for snorkeling and snowboarding, but I rarely use it for much else and don't think it'll come close any of the cameras in this thread for normal photos. This fish eye lens further drives it into a narrow niche. 

I don't need dust- or water-PROOF. Just rugged enough to not die if I hike/climb/schwack with it in my pocket. How do you plan to carry the RX100? Case or pocket?

I have a P&S (Canon S120, which has been replaced with the G5X) case on my shoulder harness of my backpack for routes where my DSLR gets in the way (so, mid fifth and up at my choss pup ability).  I use a velcro strap to wrap tightly around shoulder strap, then use case attached to that (something simple like this).  Wrist laynard on camera is clipped to sway straps at top of shoulder strap with non-climbing biner to keep me from dropping it.  Will work in rain and brush no problem, though in car wash situations I will put it inside my pack since I am not taking photos anyways.  Never destroyed a camera in the Cascades, which I often marvel at, esp. given the terrain and weather.  I am careful not to ever drop them though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JasonG said:

I wish I could convince the finance minister to get a new RX100.... but probably won't happen.

Don't get the latest RX100.

All you need is RX100 III or RX100 IV

RX100V has terrible battery life.

RX100VI has 2nd worse battery life.

RX100 III and RX IV differ by only RX100 is 1080P and RX100 is 4K video.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, summit4life said:

Don't get the latest RX100.

All you need is RX100 III or RX100 IV

RX100V has terrible battery life.

RX100VI has 2nd worse battery life.

RX100 III and RX IV differ by only RX100 is 1080P and RX100 is 4K video.

I forgot to add and this is important.  Only RX100III and RX IV is good for low light, because of their F1.8-2.8

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/7237085229/which-sony-rx100-is-right-for-you

8 hours ago, JasonG said:

No.  28mm isn't wide enough for my tastes climbing.  Would be interested in Mk III or IV

RX100 III is 24mm not 28mm.

Are you referring to:

canon g7x mark iii

or

Olympus mark iii

I think you are referring (canon g7x mark iii), because Olympus Mark III is a DSL.

https://cameradecision.com/compare/Canon-PowerShot-G7-X-Mark-II-vs-Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-RX100-III

37 minutes ago, JasonG said:

Exactly, which is what I want.  The Sony RX100 Mk II is 28mm, at its widest, which isn't wide enough for me

JasonG,

Sony RX100 III is 24mm at its widest.

See attached file. 

Also, there is no such camera as: Sony RX100 Mk II.

There is Sony RX100 II, but don't know why you add "Mk" to model name.  

Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 11.43.19 AM.png

Edited by summit4life
Added details