Sea to Sky Gondola closed due to vandalism

jon

5 hours ago, glassgowkiss said:

If, and it is big if the cable was cut, we will have to see. Cutting a 50mm cable with a grinder would be hazardous to cutter's health or life. Most likely that person or persons would have to use an explosive. 

I read that, and thought the same thing. If it was "sabotage" that would be crazy to cut a cable under such a load. the cable is actually 55mm, 6 strands.

if they are calling it that, must be some evidence to support it. I heard people in the area describe a loud noise, but what they described sounded like just what you would hear if a cable snapped and "released the load". Something @jon hears everyday in the bathroom.

17 hours ago, G-spotter said:

you guys know they could have partly cut it and then left it to fail under load right?

Cable like that has strands. In order for this exact sectorial to happen, you would have to cut though at least a couple- completely. The moment you would cut though a single strand , it would start unravelling, while spinning wildly. You can't run away from it, as you would be sitting on a narrow beam of a tower. The only way not to play a russian roulette would be using something like Dioplex. But you would be hard pressed to find it at Canadian Tire. There is a pic of a setup to cut through 50mm rebar. Probably would work on a cable under such tension. There is basically a cold chisel inside, that is impacted by a charge. Shit like this is not random and would not be an act of vandalism. It would take planning, and some pretty good knowledge of were and how. 

Screen Shot 2019-08-13 at 10.33.53 AM.png

1 hour ago, G-spotter said:

Bob, you sound like the guys denying that Twin Towers could burn and collapse after they did burn and collapse.

It was cut, it failed. Deny those facts all you like with your armchair analysis.

It was cut- how exactly? Stick to geology, Not saying it was it was not. Calling bullshit on RCMP statements without any proof. Also saying that the person cutting would have to have knowledge and it would take some planning- not an act of vandalism, but rather someone had beef with gondola. I don't think you have even a faintest idea how a cable like this looks like, and what would happen, if you started to use something like a grinder, while sitting on tower. 

Edited by glassgowkiss

It's actually not weird at all Bob.

Lemme explain in short words so you can go back to dishing out greasy-handed rub n tugs in peace

It's likely that there will be some sort of undercover effort to find the perpetrator.  A Mr Big sting (legal in Canada, though not in the US) or similar.

At some point the guilty party will tell an undercover cop or informant "Yeah, I cut the cable."

"How'd you do it?"

"Well, I used a plasma cutter". or "an angle grinder" or whatever.

BECAUSE that info hasn't been publicly released or reported, they have higher confidence that the guy is telling them the truth when he tells them how he did it. It's something that only he and they know. That won't work if everybody and his dumbfuck Polish buddy knows how it was done. So that's why they won't publicly say how it happened. Cause they don't want the general public to know.

Edited by G-spotter
  • LMAO 1

Squamish RCMP is a bunch of fucktards. 3 years ago there was a burned van found, with a body in it, and they stated they were investigating that as a crime, but no charges have been filed so far. As the matter of fact, they could not even establish ID of the guy. There are literally hundreds of thousands worth of bikes stolen in Squamish every year. And yet, in last 10 years, there were two prosecutions for bike theft. Yes, that is right- TWO!. So sorry if I am sceptical about whole cable thing,, because looks like to me Squamish RCMP knows two things- jack and shit, and jack left town. 

Imagine RCMP Bob, the Royal Canadian Mounted Polack!  Striding into town mounted on his beastly steed, dressed in red, mounty hat affixed.  Solving the cold case of the Mysterious Missing Bicycle like Sherlock Holmes.

Or maybe the RCMP are just like the cops down here, they could give two fucks if someone stole your bike.  File a report, and they'll "get right on it".

But this cable thing, it is costing real money.  And once you pass a certain threshold of money, there is different level of scrutiny. I don't know if they'll solve it or not, but I'm betting they are actually looking at it versus finding whomever stole your bike and pissed your cheerios there you sheep shagger.

1 hour ago, Bronco said:

Seems credible.

well, think again. Just during one crankwoks there were 87 bikes reported as stolen in Whistler. Say average cost would be 2.5k, which gives you $215500. That is one week! There was one bait bike sting, and two guys were caught with almost 50 bikes in rented u-haul right outside of Squamish. Why steal cars, when you can make money easier, when stealing high end mtn bikes. My adise- don't bring your mtn bike to Whistler or Squamish for overnight stay. 

On 8/19/2019 at 9:01 PM, glassgowkiss said:

3 years ago there was a burned van found, with a body in it, and they stated they were investigating that as a crime, but no charges have been filed so far. As the matter of fact, they could not even establish ID of the guy.

It was a truck not a van.

They said they were investigating, but not "as a crime". Just investigating.

It was "Jesse James" (Internet pseudonym). He lived in his truck. He either fell asleep with a candle or a joint burning, set his mattress on fire inside his truck, and burned himself to death. That's the simplest explanation.

Why isn't the case closed? He had deliberately destroyed all his ID. No one really knows what his real name was. There are no dental records on file. Skipping out on a debt or criminal charges elsewhere, who knows? But until they find out who he really was in his previous life, they can't prove that the body was him, just a "John Doe". So the case stays open. Not because "the real killer is still on the loose", OJ Rogoz.

Edited by G-spotter
  • That's funny! 1

On 8/22/2019 at 3:46 PM, G-spotter said:

I know more about this as of today than I'm allowed to say, but rest assured there's gonna be a newspaper article on the cable cutting coming out pretty soon which will provide some more details for the tinfoil hat brigade like Bob.

Still waiting for the article.......I think your credibility is dwindling down by day. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...