Cable Car haters

JasonG

• 2 weeks later...

I was camping at the base of the Chief when it happened. Loud low metallic sound, thought it was some kind of heavy barge doing something out on the water at the time. Wild stuff.

Does anyone have insight into how controversial, if at all, the cable car was among the local community?

When I first heard about the Sea to Sky gondola proposal here, I thought it was an April fool's joke. Rumors then were that it would go to the top of the Chief (I'll admit to not following it closely). Last year, our family went up to check it out. I have to say I'm a convert. It's not on the Chief but to the East, so it doesn't affect parking or views at the Chief. More importantly, from the top of the gondola you can access a host of trails, a suspension bridge, a restaurant and shop, a deck with great views, and perhaps some other things that I missed. I used it as part of our approach to Skypilot, which is now a casual day trip. Views for the Insta-selfie-masses. Hikes and/or climbs for a wide range of people. Plenty of space for everyone to spread out. I've come around to think this was a good idea after all.

Squamish was getting developed and crowded long before the gondola was installed, so I don't really understand why someone would want to destroy it.

Funny how it all unfolded. Within first 12 hours RCMP repeated unproven statements from GM of S2S about cable being cut, subsequently followed by almost 3 weeks of total blackout or any update. S2S presented zero proof, and the statement was generated before any actual inspection or investigation could take place. Most of experts, who work with cranes or lifts stated, that cutting a 5cm cable with a regular grinder or similar tool, under this level of load could most likely lead to severe injury or even death. There are methods, but it would take a high degree of knowledge and preparation to execute something like this. Hence the theory of "vandalism" would be totally bogus. If indeed a cable was cut, it would take planning and knowledge and it would be a targeted operation, not a couple of drunks thinking it would be fun. 

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 11:38 AM, glassgowkiss said:

Funny how it all unfolded. Within first 12 hours RCMP repeated unproven statements from GM of S2S about cable being cut, subsequently followed by almost 3 weeks of total blackout or any update. S2S presented zero proof, and the statement was generated before any actual inspection or investigation could take place. Most of experts, who work with cranes or lifts stated, that cutting a 5cm cable with a regular grinder or similar tool, under this level of load could most likely lead to severe injury or even death. There are methods, but it would take a high degree of knowledge and preparation to execute something like this. Hence the theory of "vandalism" would be totally bogus. If indeed a cable was cut, it would take planning and knowledge and it would be a targeted operation, not a couple of drunks thinking it would be fun. 

A little C4 would do it.  You can buy military grade plastic explosives in Canada, right?

On 9/3/2019 at 7:35 AM, DPS said:

A little C4 would do it.  You can buy military grade plastic explosives in Canada, right?

Actually there are specific devices (directional charges), that would do the job quick. However these things are not for sale in your local Canadian Tire. Kind of interesting that almost 1 month after alleged crime, there is still zero evidence presented, zero follow up by RCMP, and no promised article was published so far. 

My guess is they will not catch this person/s, and not due to lack of skill or resources. There is nothing terribly complicated about this, it's just a matter of being meticulous in how you infil and exfil the scene. There are plentiful explosives in Canada due to the mining industry (Dru am I wrong?). The Canadian and US military have trained tens thousands of people to do this exact thing without getting caught. I'm not saying that is the case, this likely is just an ordinary person, simply that I think pulling this off without getting caught is not only possible but has been done many times in different circumstances. 

34 minutes ago, jon said:

My guess is they will not catch this person/s, and not due to lack of skill or resources. There is nothing terribly complicated about this, it's just a matter of being meticulous in how you infil and exfil the scene. There are plentiful explosives in Canada due to the mining industry (Dru am I wrong?). The Canadian and US military have trained tens thousands of people to do this exact thing without getting caught. I'm not saying that is the case, this likely is just an ordinary person, simply that I think pulling this off without getting caught is not only possible but has been done many times in different circumstances. 

99.9% in crimes of this sort there is a motive. What would it be here? First of all, most of explosives used in mining would not be up to task. I would suggest looking at books of S2S corporation. Either they owed money to mob, or they were going under. Shit like that is not random and is not vandalism. 

• Smells bad 1