Squamish death toll

glassgowkiss

There was a second, fatal accident on the Chief within 6 weeks. 

Wonder if it's just due to general increase in number of climbers? But having two back to back accidents like this is a bit a new thing. I remember several rescues from the Chief, but mostly for fractures or dislocations/sprains. 

Edited by glassgowkiss

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know any details on the latest. 6 weeks ago, looks like some sort of mistake/miscommunication. Apparently he fell 30m, as starting to follow a pitch on Grand Wall. Either miscommunication with leader or mistake in setting up a belay. 

Second one happened on New Life, below Astro Ledge. 

1 hour ago, glassgowkiss said:

Don't know any details on the latest. 6 weeks ago, looks like some sort of mistake/miscommunication. Apparently he fell 30m, as starting to follow a pitch on Grand Wall. Either miscommunication with leader or mistake in setting up a belay. 

Second one happened on New Life, below Astro Ledge. 

Surprising that the first scenario  (miscommunication) doesn’t Happen more often.  

On 8/11/2019 at 10:36 AM, glassgowkiss said:

I would only add, that these things should be named as incidents, not accidents. There is a string of events and decisions that lead to injury or death, not some bad luck. 

Yes my wise Polish one....it is all a part of God's plan. Not an accident.  Petition to change it to "Incidents in North America"?

• 2 weeks later...

Nice random Beowulf toss into the mix @ivan

This was Beowulf after Grendel’s mother kills Aeschere, right? Beowulf speaks of the grief as an “indulgence”, an inappropriate and ineffective way of responding to the death of a comrade. Beowulf reminds Hrothgar with this that vengeance is the real warrior’s response. Some of this line of thought involves the believing that only reputation will perpetuate a warrior’s existence after their death. Beowulf perceives life as a race to glory. To wit: “Let whoever can / win glory before death”. 

I'm all for grief as an indulgence but not for embracing death for glory's sake.

Sorry. Spent all day ruminating alone in the mounatins. Shoudnt be near a keyboard. Ack!

Nice reference man

1 hour ago, LaMacheene said:

Nice random Beowulf toss into the mix @ivan

This was Beowulf after Grendel’s mother kills Aeschere, right? Beowulf speaks of the grief as an “indulgence”, an inappropriate and ineffective way of responding to the death of a comrade. Beowulf reminds Hrothgar with this that vengeance is the real warrior’s response. Some of this line of thought involves the believing that only reputation will perpetuate a warrior’s existence after their death. Beowulf perceives life as a race to glory. To wit: “Let whoever can / win glory before death”. 

I'm all for grief as an indulgence but not for embracing death for glory's sake.

Sorry. Spent all day ruminating alone in the mounatins. Shoudnt be near a keyboard. Ack!

Nice reference man

i used to hate superhero movies, then i realized the oldest surviving work in the english language was just that :)

and yes, that is beowulf speaking to hrothgar just after his right-hand man got the chop - the point being that, when we die, all that will matter is what we've done up to that point, which is, ya know, kinda fucking obvious, but kewl too :)