Remake Songs That Suck/Rock

RobBob

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JK is right on -- consider Hendrix doing All Along the Watchtower (and also Gloria (vs Van Morrison))

I must beg to differ with Muffy on the best version of My Way -- Sid is excellent, but Killdozer is even better.

Also must mention the bangup job the Meat Puppets did with Battle Hymn of the Republic as an encore at a PDX show years ago.

Devo Covering Hendrix are you experienced and Stones satisfaction

Residents' Cover of John Phillip Sousa (one side of album) and Hank Williams (other side of album) with country disco mix of Kaw-Liga.

Clawhammer cover of entire Devo album Are We Not Men...

Boney M covering Neil Young Heart of Gold with synthesized harmonica noises!!!! rockband.gifrockband.gifrockband.gifrockband.gifrockband.gif

Dancing in the streets - Fred Frith rockband.gif

California Uber Alles - Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy rockband.gif

Dr. Wu - Minutemen rockband.gif

Yu Gung - Pussy Galore rockband.gif

Revolution - Mudhoney rockband.gif

Search and Destroy - Red Hot Chili Peppers rockband.gif

James Brown at the Apollo - Residents rockband.gif

Lawman - Royal Trux rockband.gif

Louie Louie - Black Flag rockband.gif

Kotton Krown - Two Nice Girls rockband.gif

Girl U Want - Superchunk rockband.gif

Simpson's Theme - Sonic Youth rockband.gif

I used to have a cover of Jenny (867-5309) that kicked ass, but I can't think of who did it.

Fitz of Depression did a great version, but don't know if thats the one you're thinking of.

I think most covers that don't re-interpret the song suck. You've got to add something to it, not just display your wish to be the original artist. To that end, The Gourds doing their bluegrass version of Gin & Juice remains one of my favorites. Just today I heard a good version of Like A Rolling Stone slopped up as only the Replacements can do it. Just the other night in Portland Sleater-Kinney did a brilliant version of Fortunate Son.

Jane's Addiction cover of "Sympathy for the Devil" beats the original on any plane. rockband.gif

Agreed - that's one of my favorite covers ever. PLUS, you get the double-cover-bonus of the segue from their version of VU's "rock and roll..." Now I've gotta go put that disc on.

Other covers that rawk: Supersuckers the_finger.gif covering just about anything... like "Get it On" by Turbonegro or even Madonna's "Burning Up." Dinosaur Jr.'s version of "Just Like Heaven" by the Cure. On a mellower note, the Cowboy Junkies' cover of "Sweet Jane" is a classic...