Remake Songs That Suck/Rock

RobBob

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn, that's too bad. SG even plays Johnny Cash or Michael Jackson's "Thriller" now and then. The entire Slayer album they played the other day (or whatever that screaming devil music was) got old, though. Don't get me wrong -- I'm down with a little Swedish death metal now and then, but variety is important. rockband.gif

Pat Boone covering Deep Purple and Ozzy Osbourne does suck. A lot.

I always assumed that Pat Boone metal album was a joke, like those "Golden Throats" songs (like Shatner doing "Lucy in the Sky") So it seems to miss the point to critisize them -- the joke is that they're SUPPOSED to suck. I'm trying to get my mind around the idea that "In a Metal Mood" was supposed to be a serious effort, but I just can't.

There is a cd called "Lounge against the Machine" that's lounge versions of contemporary pop/rock songs (like Fight for your Right" and "Bullet the Blue Sky") that my daughter thought was pretty amusing.

Johnny Cash's 'Rusty Cage' and 'I Won't Back Down'

Mighty Mighty Bosstones - 'Enter Sandman'

Asylum Street Spankers - 'Darling Nikki'

Flatirons - 'Crazy Train' (country-blues version - female vocal)

Cardigans - 'Iron Man' (just for the amusement factor)

and Return of the Grievous Angel - Gram Parsons tribute album, especially Cowboy Junkies' 'Las Vegas'

Edited by glacier

• 2 weeks later...

It took me forever but I’ve finally decided that Joe Cocker didn’t suck. Those spazzed stage mannerisms put me off for a long time, but now I’m inclined to think he was some kind of interpretive cover genius. Help w/ my Friends in 3/4 time, The Letter as a shuffle, he played Feelin’ Alright pretty straight but it’s still the better version, imo. The list goes on.

E-rock said:

How about this one.

Firehose, "Walkin' the Cow".

But I don't know who did the original (have never even heard it) I just know that it's a cover.

"Walkin' the Cow" is a Daniel Johnston tune. I like fIREHOSE's version better. Most of their covers are on the Totem Pole EP, which is awesome. Check out Mannequin (Wire), The Red and the Black (BOC) and Revolution Part II (Butthole Surfers, hope I don't fuck it up, Gibby!)

Screeching Weasel's version of "I Fall to Pieces" (Patsy Cline) is pretty cool, too; Minor Threat's "Stepping Stone" is also rad.

Crack said:

covers rock!

nirvana -molly's lips (the vibrators)

7 seconds -99 red balloons (nena)

nofx -champ elysees (traditional french song)

ramones -do you wanna dance/rockaway beach (50's stuff?)

vindictives -covered the entire album "leave home" (ramones)

pouges -south australia (???)

clash -i fought the law (???)

screeching weasel -danny is a wimp (the queers)

the queers -like a parasite (screeching weasel)

face to face -just like heaven (the cure)

most pathetic remake -ben weasel singing "linger", by the fuckin' cranberries...

"Molly's Lips" was the Vaselines, from Edinburgh, Scotland. So was "Son of a Gun".