[TR] South Twin, Jaw's Tooth, Skookum (Kloke), Little Sister, Cinderella - Green Creek Circuit 06/30/2019

geosean

Trip: South Twin, Jaw's Tooth, Skookum (Kloke), Little Sister, Cinderella - Green Creek Circuit

Trip Date: 06/30/2019

Trip Report:

Me and Dylan climbed the Green Creek Circuit per the "Cascades Rock" guide: Green Creek Arete to South Twin, NW Face of Jaw's Tooth, NE Ridge of Skookum, central arete on the NW face of Little Sister, then the west ridge of Cinderella.

It was amazing.

Lots of fun mostly easy travel on varied terrain with soloing, simul-climbing, downclimbing, snow, loose gullies. My kind mountaineering and classic Cascades style.

I would say that the left arete on Little Sister might be better due to a section of scary detached blocks on the right one that we climbed. On the left one you would get more ridge scrambling which was amazing.

14.5 hours car-to-car, 7800', 13.4 miles.

More terrain to be explored past Cinderella at left:

20190630_164247_resized.thumb.jpg.c4f0267df0746e08c53854cef5696a2f.jpg

Dylan on the final scramble to Cinderella:

20190630_172326_resized.thumb.jpg.9b405f6433411de04a616cde79df7ae3.jpg

Looking back up Green Creek after a great day:

20190630_181140_resized.thumb.jpg.b121d052d2f5b5f67785f9bccbd38ebd.jpg

Dylan in the upper Green Creek basin:

20190630_181209_resized.thumb.jpg.e023389dc6fb5fa229ca573d22380962.jpg

Dylan eschewed my offer of a trekking pole in favor of looking like a doofus crossing the Middle Fork:

20190630_201727_resized.thumb.jpg.9e3fcc630ab894f9845d5385a69db9eb.jpg

Gear Notes:
30m rope got us off Jaw's Tooth with some easy downclimbing and was perfect for simul-climbing axe small rack

Approach Notes:
Per Darin, the Forest Service has actually cleaned up their part of the trail and it is getting moderate use to Elbow Lake.
  • Rawk on! 3

Nice, thanks for posting Sean. Such a fun backyard playground.

I would add that we found a way more fun way up the green creek arete than what I have done previously (if you follow the actual line of the arete there is a lot of hiking). We started maybe 30 feet left of the gully going up to mythic wall on probable looking 4th/low 5th and went straight up, trending left slightly to avoid the real steeps. Hit the proper arete a little below where it flattens/where the mythic wall tops out.

The true summit of the green creek arete:

B4n8cxNQT3IIbhA2kEiWqrs8PmZfiFd6IOwI0xn1

Skookum:

D6nlSfvkLdFegPYESDxNgo_0QbkeorWxSbdneS6m

Low on Little Sister:

rqvnuRo9_IruyLdN8eFoq2gJUqrrC8sGCyY9qycH

High on Little Sister:

FzsSijWsCw5v49oTwbyXZVkQIYIT24uaYYThknFE

Cinderella:

7B2eHjZgxWQMioOdDfhRmJHC_3pIjt5GMPuJYv_0

Green creek basin:

j3edJFDHDQYgvLYTYJfk7_JoPq-QKqmYTQgDcyU-

Edited by thedylan

So looks like no log for a river crossing?  I don’t feel like I’ve ever seen it in wadeable condition.

The couple people I know who have done the central arete raved about it, but with multiple options the choss had to be somewhere.  The left arete was a little too easy,  I still need to get back in there for the central.    

I think?

5d1d0dd8b2075_Untitleddrawing.png.e56f37d747c735ce88a9a2c3f4cceac0.png

Doable but attention getting. Would have been worse if the blocks were made of gneiss like they usually are :-D. Moving onto the slabby north side of the arete down lower may have been the thing to do, seems to be where the solid rock is in this section of the range.

Update: noticed this in another TR. I think we tackled the referenced bulge head-on.

Surprisingly good 5.4ish up and sometimes left of a little corner system, stepping left onto a beautiful, highly featured and varnished slab to bypass a small bulge, leading to class 3 up the rib to the summit.

Edited by thedylan