Two Days in ONP

steelfrog

Greetings.  We will be kayaking off the San Juans for 3 days with the orcas, and then spending 2 full days in ONP.  

We cover lots of miles, so we are thinking of one day dayhiking the HDT/7 Lakes Basin, and one other day hiking either Hoh or Enchanted Valley--can people who have done both help me choose one of those?

Then also, we plan on visiting beaches around afternoon/sunset--can you help choose between Rialto, Shi Shi, Flattery and Kalaloch tree cave?

Many thanks!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a wonderful trip. My favorite sunset beach out there is Ruby Beach. Nearly flat sand bars make for incredible reflected light, and the best viewing areas are quite close to the parking. You'll want low to medium tide if possible.

Enchanted Valley is much further East and thus much drier than the Hoh. Both are very long valleys where you can easily go 25 miles in a day to get from trailhead to alpine terrain and back again. If you're willing to cover that kind of mileage, perhaps by jogging, I'd suggest the Hoh. It's far more lush, you stand a decent chance of seeing elk, and the glacier views from the end of the trail are pretty amazing. Also, the Hoh is pretty close to Ruby Beach.

Another hike to consider is Lake Constance. Maybe bring a bike for the road section. It passes one of the most incredible moss-covered boulders I've ever seen on a very steep approach to a narrow valley. If you're fit and have the experience, consider continuing on to summit Mt Constance. On a clear day, it's got one of the best views anywhere in Washington and the summit spire is rad.