Questions about Bugaboos

It's been 25+ years since I was in the Bugaboos so I expect somethings have changed.
It looks like people still are using chickenwire to safeguard their cars.
Last time we showed up and stayed at the Kain Hut. This time there's online reservations that show that it's already full.
So we are are looking to stay at Applebee campground and I have some questions.
Is water available at Applebee? Do people usually boil it or filter it or neither?
Is there any day use allowed for the Kain Hut if you aren't staying there? It might be nice to sit at a table and play cards on a rest day.
The Hut apparently has outlets allowing for one to recharge devices/batteries. Can non-hut users use this luxury?

Thanks for any answers or additional beta that we might find useful

Edited by RichardKorry

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as I remember there are some running creeks nearby.  How nearby depends on time of  year and where you camp but still reasonable.

I would purify it by some means.  tablets purification fine if you don't want to haul up extra fuel or filter.  plenty of people walking around the basin and someone must have pooped under a rock or two or 2000. 

I don't think they can keep day use out of the hut.  Most people don't want to hike down and back up from applebee so it is not really a problem that must have been addressed.

don't know about charging but I doubt anyone can stop you from using a unused charger outlet.

the trail will be improved from your last time in there.  I think the hut has some renovation since your last time also.  A big avi smacked it around some time in the 90's.

I don't mean to hijack this thread but anyone know of the conditions up there right now?  I know it's rather early but I have some time off in late June and was curious about heading up around the 20th.  Would this be doable or should I wait for later in the year?  Thanks!

18 hours ago, RichardKorry said:

Is water available at Applebee? Do people usually boil it or filter it or neither? There is a water spigot in Applebee that draws from the lake just above the camping area. I did not boil or filter the water, nor did I see anyone else doing so.
Is there any day use allowed for the Kain Hut if you aren't staying there? It might be nice to sit at a table and play cards on a rest day. Yes you can. Plenty of day hikers do.
The Hut apparently has outlets allowing for one to recharge devices/batteries. Can non-hut users use this luxury? Yes, but you might as well bring a portable lithium battery recharger to save yourself the hike to/from the hut from Applebee. Not worth in in my opinion.

Yes on chicken wire, but if you go there on Friday or Saturday, there might be no parking. 

There is water at Applebee. I was drinking it without filtering or boiling for about 2 weeks total and never was sick.

You can use Kain hut during bad weather/rest day. Yes, they do have electricity, not sure what the policy on recharging would be. However I find hiking down and up almost 600m in elevation difference is not much of a rest day. 

Applebee is better for climbing and staying. It's quieter at night, can get better sleep, and you save an hour of walking every day, compared to when you stay in the Hut.