Volunteer opportunity (backpacking with youth)

Alisse

Hey all,

I'm volunteering on a week-long backpacking trip with youth this summer through Big City Mountaineers, and thought maybe some of you would be interested in going on one of their trips. Feel free to pass along this information to others you think may be interested! Spoiler alert: there is no mountaineering. Just backpacking.

Here is the email I got from the volunteer coordinator:

Greetings PNW Friends and Big City Mountaineers Supporters,

I am emailing you because I am still in need of 6 more male volunteers, and 1 female volunteer for our Big City Mountaineers  trips this summer. Our volunteer mentors are integral to our mission and to a successful trip, and if you have given your time before on a BCM trip, or already plan to volunteer this summer, I want to express my deepest gratitude!

Below are the dates of the trips and the associated youth agencies that still need volunteers. If you think you may be interested in making an expedition fit into your summer this year, please email me and we can start the process to registering you on a trip. If you know others who would be impactful mentors and willing to give a week to this experience, please pass this email and my contact information along.

Portland-based Trips:

POIC—Rosemary Anderson High School

June 25-July 1

Male trip: need 1 volunteer

Female trip: waitlist

Ant Farm

July 11-17

Male trip: waitlist

Female trip: need 1 volunteer

Police Activities League

July 16-23

Male trip: need 1 volunteer

Seattle-Based Trips:

Seattle Nativity School

Juy 21-July 27

Male trip: need 2 volunteers

Boys & Girls Club of Bellevue

July 30-August 5

Male trip: need 2 volunteers

Volunteer Training:

June 1, 2019 in Portland, Oregon

* it is very important to attend this training, but if you cannot, and would still like to volunteer on a trip, please reach out to me regardless and we can work something out.

Below are the steps to volunteering on a Big City Mountaineers trip if you have not before:

• Here is a link to a presentation that will give you more of an understanding of Big City Mountaineers and the experience as a mentor. I have also attached the Mentor Position Description. For more clarification and details please call me (phone number below), and I’ll be happy to talk to you more about the volunteer experience.
  • If, after watching the presentation and reading the description, you feel like this is an experience for you:

•             Submit an application through this link: https://formstack.io/59DD8

o             At that time I will reach out to you to set up an informal phone interview

o             I’ll check your reference, and get you set up with an expedition date

•             Submit a registration and $150 volunteer fee (to help cover expedition costs)

•             complete the background check

•             Get stoked! This is truly a wonderful experience spent with inspiring youth and like-minded adults!

• Participate in a Volunteer Training June 1st, at the Mazamas in Portland, Oregon

Thank you so much for your support and for passing this along to people you feel are—or could be-- passionate mentors!

Sincerely,

Anne Hayward
anne@bigcitymountaineers.org

Alisse

• Like 1