Mid/late June footwear

Loco Raindrops

So figured I would throw out another question for you all.

I have settled on a 6 day seminar on Rainier with RMI due to my actually getting something from it from a learning perspective outside of just tromping up the ridge.

Most likely am gonna try to get as late a June date as possible when dates are released in September 2019.

Options are May, June, and September.

Ive been reading various feeds about footwear and so many have said use doubles but I have used singles in some cold weather here in the NE with vbl liners and a sock system.

I know the pro to doubles is bring the liners in with ya at night for obvious reasons. 

I do this with my Baffin Borealis boots which I snowshoe in.

I just replaced my old worn out La Sportivas with the 2019 Cube which is pretty much just a cosmetic update from the previous variation for the most part.

....oh and a bump in msrp lol.

So my question. 

Are vbl liners ever used out that way to alleviate sweat build up in singles in the seasons outside of July/Aug(peak.)

Do you feel that my approach makes sense?

Im carrying over a little of my deep winter backpacking/snowshoeing experience to this endeavor.

Im not a fan of doubles but feel they have their purpose when warranted. 

Just not sure this really is one.

I have a pair of Lenz socks in a pinch that I use when windchills hit -20°f out this way or colder.

Not sure they would make much sense out there.

Thanks for any feedback in advance.

(Attached the setup as far as boots and crampons go for Rainier)

....at least what I am intending on using.

So, does the vbl make sense with a single boot for June?

Or am I looking at doubles?

20190512_113232.jpg

Edited by Loco Raindrops

The problem is not the cold, the problem is you will be wading around in wet snow for six days.  It will impossible to keep your boots dry or to dry them out once they get wet. 

While I prefer leather boots for most things, for a week long Rainier trip in June I would personally go with plastics or 5,000/6,000 meter boots

Im not renting due to an experience I had a bit back with a foot fungus I acquired with a pair of rentals.

Took a very very long time to get rid of it. 

I will deep6 Rainier completely b4 I go that route and expose myself to that potential again.

Im also not sure buying a pair of G2s is worthwhile for me. 

I live in Pa so...

My only rule is I wont do summer because you can always put enough on but you cant always take enough off plus humidity out here is bonkers. 

Doubt folks want to pass me in my happy hippie hiking suit.

I did a solo awhile back. Covered 115 miles over 12 days. 

It rained 11 of the 12 and my feet stayed dry.

The trail was to the point where it was a small stream with white caps. People were messaging me saying I was nuts. I had to put my gaiters on because the flow as time went on would have overtaken my boots amd flooded me out. 

I prolly could have used a packraft lol.

It was a record rainfall. I have pics of the trail somehwere. 

If I can stay dry in that scenario in a pair of leathers then why couldnt I on Rainier?

Is late June postholing season out that way?

Edited by Loco Raindrops

All of my leather gets treated with either Obenaufs LP or Watershield. 

LP + a hairdryer can minimize leather absorbing water tremendously. 

In all seriousness if I need to pick up a new pair of boots just for this Rainier trip Im just gonna go climb Blanc.

....for the cost I may as well lol.

Ive done fine in temps colder than anything I would encounter up there.

Like I said 35yrs+ and subjected to some very cold temps for extended periods and no immediate bail out option. 

You subject yourself to enough of those types of forays you learn what works and what doesnt quick. 

Take away altitude cold is cold regardless of terrain.

Leather sucks up moisture? Treat the leather so it doesnt.

Sweat issues? 

Thats what vbl liners are for. 

If the gtx membrane works as it should then water should not impede from the outside to the inside.

Ive worked construction sites for years in my Danner Super Rain Forests in really wet muddy weather and in the 8yrs and 2 resoles I have owned them not 1 time did they wet out on the inner nor did the leather suck up moisture.

I think the thing is some dont deal with their leather, it sucks up moisture, which results in the boots not breathing which results in soaked feet. 

Been there lol. 

I know high alpine sheep hunters who deal with gnarly weather and they dont wear doubles.

Heck people have climbed in full leather Super Guides for years.

...some still do.

I hate plastics with a passion lol.

So much that if this trip requires them I will do something else.

Edited by Loco Raindrops

Just ordered a pair of g2 sms lol. May be a little warm for June on Rainier but will work for Denali which is a goal.

If they tell me these arent sufficient for Rainier I quit lol.

Im blaming DPS for my purchase.

Thats what I told the wife. 

"DPS told me to do it." :P

I got them for $637 so not much more than the cubes. 

Edited by Loco Raindrops

23 hours ago, Loco Raindrops said:

Im blaming DPS for my purchase.

Thats what I told the wife. 

"DPS told me to do it." :P

That is solid grounding.  Unfortunately, lines like GoreTex simply don't work.  I am a big believer in leather boot maintenance with a beeswax/polyurethane product, the waterproofing is abraded quickly by the ice crystals and won't keep boots dry past day three, assuming you are on glaciers all day. 

Something along the lines of Scarpa Phantom or similar would be ideal for Rainier.  You could go to a warmer model for Denali and use them on both trips. 

Edited by DPS

I have luck with Sportiva fit. 

My Pamirs, Lhotses, Cubes... all fit without a quibble. 

Granted I have various volumes of SF insoles to tweak footwear fit but nevertheless.

For $637 I had no problem pulling the trigger on the G2s. Will run them on Rainier in June for the seminar. If my feet are a lill warm oh well. 

Plus they will serve me well further down.

When I sat back and thought on it it makes sense. 

If I dont buy them now I will most certainly buy them later so may as well get it over with. 

Was a lil wigged out on the potential for boa failure but from what I have heard those who have had issue done so when the boot was early to the market. 

I will carry a kit regardless.

17 hours ago, DPS said:

You could go to a warmer model for Denali and use them on both trips. 

Thats what I was thinking with the G2. I also want to run Cotopaxi, Blanc, the Matterhorn and a few other objectives so they will give me some flexibility. 

The more and more I think on it too much boot isnt a bad thing. Yeah, might be warm but weighed against the option of being too cold I will happily embrace it lol.

Plus I have fat feet so I can afford to sweat a little weight off. 

SmartSelect_20190519-061136_Google.jpg

Edited by Loco Raindrops

Im gonna keep the Cubes so between them and the G2 I should be covered.

I will pick up a pair of overboots/super gaiters when needed.

Trying to sort out the pros v. cons between super gaiters and overboots.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Loco Raindrops

you will not want the overboots.  that is a specific condition item, like butt ass cold and requires crampons.  I doubt that you will be or want to be in crampons for the whole day.  I doubt your guide will allow you to use them.

I had super gaiters and snow will sneak in around the rubber rand and you r boots will get wet anyways.

I have guided in cascades for 8 years and very familiar with slogging up volcanoes around here.  You will be glad to bring double plastic boots over leather.  Leather boots are fine mid july and on.  You can get by with leather boots (history has shown that old timers climbed plenty of bad ass shit with loafers)  but you will be much happier with something that you can remove the liner and dry out daily.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, genepires said:

you will not want the overboots.  that is a specific condition item, like butt ass cold and requires crampons.  I doubt that you will be or want to be in crampons for the whole day.  I doubt your guide will allow you to use them.

I had super gaiters and snow will sneak in around the rubber rand and you r boots will get wet anyways.

I have guided in cascades for 8 years and very familiar with slogging up volcanoes around here.  You will be glad to bring double plastic boots over leather.  Leather boots are fine mid july and on.  You can get by with leather boots (history has shown that old timers climbed plenty of bad ass shit with loafers)  but you will be much happier with something that you can remove the liner and dry out daily.

I meant the super gaiter/overboots for future endeavors when needed(Denali, etc.)

Im not sure what would have to happen on Rainier for me to need overboots on top of the G2s but whatever it is I doubt I would want to be up there when it did lol.

I like the g2. Seems I am on the cusp on size so have to go up to a 46.5 from a 46.

The G2 definitely runs small. Volume is good though.

My cubes fit in a 46. No toe bang, nodda. 

The G2s if I force my foot I can press my toes against the front of the boot.

Only thing that worries me on the G2 is from the design if the lower boa goes its gonna be a sob to replace it.

Maybe there is a trick to it but from what I see just to reroute it is gonna be a severe pita.

Edited by Loco Raindrops

• 2 months later...
On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 7:25 AM, Loco Raindrops said:

My cubes fit in a 46. No toe bang, nodda. 

The G2s if I force my foot I can press my toes against the front of the boot.

If your toes touch the front of the boot when kicking a stair riser or even pushing your foot forward in the boot that means they are too small.  After a long day of climbing at altitude your feet swell.  Walking downhill in a pair of boots that are too small, especially after climbing all day, is misery. 

1 hour ago, DPS said:

If your toes touch the front of the boot when kicking a stair riser or even pushing your foot forward in the boot that means they are too small.  After a long day of climbing at altitude your feet swell.  Walking downhill in a pair of boots that are too small, especially after climbing all day, is misery. 

I agree 100%. 

1 hour ago, Loco Raindrops said:

I agree 100%. 

Yep, plus if you repeatedly bang your big toe on the end of the boot you'll end up bruising the nail bed, which is painful, and you will likely lose your toenail(s) weeks or months afterward. Been there done that.

I always fit any footwear I purchase towards the end of the day when I have been on my feet all day to compensate for foot swelling. 

Seen too many make the mistake of not doing so then get out on trail, feet swell, and they are miserable. 

Length is another animal. If the boot is too short its too short. 

I also have diff volume of SF insoles. 

I have the carbons, blues, and Trailblazers which are equivalent of the greens volume wise. 

My Danner Mountain Light 2s are sz 11.5 and I run the carbons in them. My Lights(cordura side panels) are a sz12 and I run the trailblazers in them.

Both are a 650 last if I remember right but the ML 2s seem to be a longer more slender fit.

The ML2s are an EE and they still seem narrower than the standard width Lights. 

...I use the Blues in my Baffin Borealis(winter dbl backpacking boot) and in my Garmont Dragontails. 

Volume can be worked with sometimes.

...notice I said "sometimes."

Edited by Loco Raindrops