Washing Gore-Tex

eternalX

What's the deal with Gore-Tex? What really happens if you don't use the fancy GoreTex wash stuff? It seems if the stuff is that tough, it shouldn't break down when you wash it like every other piece of clothing you own.

sorry if this has already been covered.

--eternal

bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Gore-Tex won't break down, but you might screw the waterproof coating on the nylon. Nylon is hydrophilic, and once the coating gets washed away (or funked up with body oils, dirt, etc.), you get wet.

I don't think you need to use soap any more special than liquid detergent (though I've used powdered). Then throw your stuff in the dryer, and monitor is closely. The heat sorta reactivates the waterproof coating. Even a quick ironing can help.

I usually run it through a second cycle with no soap. This seems to help.

I was told that soap is hydrophyllic, and so you wanna get rid of as much of it as possible. SOme people also do this with their polypro and socks too. I think that's a bit over the top.

They should get rid of thier stinky polypro and wear wool. Much cosier. Seriously.

Wash as directed above, iron on lowish heat, and if that doesn't work, get a bottle of the spray-on Revivex, follow directions on bottle. One bottle does one jacket. Stuff works wonders.

Definately spend the few extra $ and get Revivex not the TxDirect stuff. It works so much better and lasts a lot longer than other DWR sprays/washins.

The ingredients of Scotchgard are a secret. As Dru suggests, I wouldn't be afraid to use it on a coated nylon tent piece, though it may not stick to SilNylon.

Despite claims by Scotchgard that it doesn't mess up the breathability of DWR fabrics, I would not trust my Goretex to it, especially since there is a product out there specifically for DWRs, that is, Revivex.

I thought Scotchgard was being pulled off the market for being carcinogenic, anyone know what happened with that?

Have you tried it? It beads up the water just all the others.

I would think Scotchguard would prevent the gore-tex from breathing.

Also, you guys keep spouting hydrophilic around, but as far as i can tell, that only means something that has a strong affinity to water. Can someone describe in detail how spraying something on a jacket make it more waterproof AND breathable? I understand the jacket is loaded with tiny holes and that makes it breathable...but wouldn't spraying a coating of say Scotochguard just clog up the holes? I could understand a dryer melting the jacket enough to clog the holes too, or soap not dissolving enough to clog the holes as well.... argh, sorry, it's the geek in me.

--eternal

less talk, more bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

I think one of the reasons that a DWR coating helps breathability is that it keeps the fabric from wetting out. When the fabric wets out the moisture now contained in the fabric acts as a barrier to vapor escaping. By using a DWR, the water, for the most part, will roll off,leaving the fabric to breath as it's designed to. Just my guess tho. bigdrink.gif

Have you tried it? It beads up the water just all the others.

Yeah...and I could spray Krylon on my jacket and it would work just as well. moon.gif

I haven't noticed a considerable advantage using Revivix over TX-Direct...I still need to reaplly it at least two or three times a season. The wash in stuff makes it so much easier though.

Hey EJohnson, I'm inclined to agree with you about Scotchgard. I like the shit. Used to spray it on my sofas when I had cloth and nothing nasty would stick to it. I've also used it on my gortex shit with no apparent loss of breathability...course I don't think the shit breathes anyway. My opinion...there's allot of "voodoo" about this and that miracle product. I don't buy it.

• 4 months later...