[TR] Mt. Pilchuck - Mt. Pilchuck Trail 05/11/2019

shanet

Trip: Mt. Pilchuck - Mt. Pilchuck Trail

Trip Date: 05/11/2019

Trip Report:

First trip report here. Hi everyone!

The road near the Heather Lake trailhead is terribly potholed. I drove a small sedan up there and made it without too much trouble, but if you're not used to swerving around potholes it could be difficult. The way back down was worse because of the all the cars parked made for less maneuvering room. Once past the Heather Lake trailhead, it's smooth sailing though; the road is clear and in fairly good shape all the way to the Pilchuck trailhead.

Breaking out of the forest is where the snow begins. It could be skinned, but I ended up booting the whole thing since the snow was conducive to hiking and it was quicker to do that than take off my skis again to get over the rocks higher up near the summit.

I started my descent down the Gunsight around 10am. It was mostly melted out near the bottom, but there was a small amount of snow left on skier's right that allowed me to ski down to the bottom. Judging from other trip report photos from earlier in the week, I'd expect it to be melted out entirely not too long from now.

From there, I hiked up to the left through the trees and headed down Larrison ridge to meet up back with the trail.

Gear Notes:
Ski touring basics

Approach Notes:
Rough road to the trailhead. Trail is snow free until breaking out of the trees.

IMG_20190511_102104.jpg

Edited by shanet
  • Rawk on! 1

• 4 weeks later...