[TR] Sahale Peak - Sahale Arm 04/20/2019

geosean

Trip: Sahale Peak - Sahale Arm

Trip Date: 04/20/2019

Trip Report:

Me, Fred, and Max skied Sahale arm and summited yesterday, 4-20-19.

The road was closed at MP18 so we had a nice 5 mile warmup to the summer trailhead. We started hiking in runners at 7am. 

After 4.5 miles we hit the abrupt beginning of continuous snow, it was glorious... the way spring skiing ought to be; hike dry road bet to 4' of snow. Bam. Skis on. 

We skinned up the gut toward the pass, booting a short section though the cliff band at 4800'. From there it was cake to 100' below the summit. We cached skis there and booted up, around the east side to the top. It was a one at a time affair up there, we each tagged it and bailed back to the skis. The exposure was real, on steep snow, and added a killer thrill.

The snow was firm at the top, mashed potatoes at the bottom, but pretty good all the way to the pavement. 

Summited at 2:00, car at 6:00. 11 hours with a couple of long breaks. 7300', 18.4 miles.

P.S. I did this on my phone in about 10 minutes... post your trips people! Its great to hear what is going on out there, and this forum is way cooler than facebook!

Gear Notes:
Skis, axe & crampons for the top 50'

Approach Notes:
Trail shoes. Lots of road.
  • Like 1
  • Rawk on! 3

2 hours ago, geosean said:

P.S. I did this on my phone in about 10 minutes... post your trips people! Its great to hear what is going on out there, and this forum is way cooler than facebook!

Great to hear you can do this from your phone easily! Did you try adding any picts?