Proposed Large Scale Quarry in Marblemount

JasonG

If you value peace and quiet on your way to North Cascades National Park, please take a few moments to review and comment on the proposal to expand quarry operations along the Rockport Cascade Road, across from town:

https://www.skagitcounty.net/Departments/PlanningAndPermit/MarblemountQuarry.htm

Short story- Kiewit is proposing to mine 6 days a week, 12 hours a day, for up to 100 years.  They will be drilling 5-6" holes in rock, and shooting the quarry daily.  Up to 150 trucks a day with one rock loads, the rock primarily bound for the mouth of Columbia and SE AK (good saltwater breakwater material).  In particular, I worry about the intersection of Hwy 20 and 530 in summer months with heavily loaded trucks turning west up the hill from 530.  Among other things.....

Like noise.  I mean, you can hear a chainsaw miles away up there, let alone quarry operations!

I think a full EIS is certainly warranted and have let Skagit County officials know.

Thanks for taking a look!

Based on previous experiences it's probably in our best interest if someone from the climbing community enters a comment and gets listed as "Party of Record".  From other government dealings I've learned that often once the public comment period is closed the government agencies will only talk to people that are acknowledged as a "party of record" and it's too late for anyone else to file comments even if the plan has changed considerably from the initial proposal.  I don't have time to follow up.

They've extended the comment period to May 13th 2019.  There is still a lot of time! 

I am already a party of record and will try and update this thread as I know more.  The Skagit Tribes and Seattle City Light are on the record already opposing the current application and calling for an EIS.  Not sure about the NPS.

There is a mining resource area in the Skagit County comp. plan for this location (outright denial isn't on great legal ground) so I think comments are best expressed in the vein of trying adequately understand the likely effects (noise, traffic, etc.) of expanded quarry operations.  I think most feel that the current SEPA application doesn't do a good job of this.   Most have been stressing that an EIS is warranted to fully flesh out the possible effects and what effective mitigation measures might be. 

At some point Kiewit will be seeking a comp. plan amendment to expand the mining resource area.  That will be another opportunity to make your voice heard.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...