Aid Climbing Gumbies go to Index

slothrop

Hey all you Index wall climbers! I'm recuperating from an injury but am itchin' to climb stuff. My bum foot won't let me make the hike in to do the first winter ascent of the south face of Forbidden, so I want to learn to aid climb while the sun shines tomorrow.

What are some good first aid routes to try at Index? I was thinking about City Park, since it's got a bolt ladder start and looks like it's just one crack to the top (correct me if I'm wrong).

I can rustle up some aiders and whatnot, but I don't have any fancy aid gear, like offset cams, WC Zeros, skyhooks, or teeny tiny nuts. Any suggestions for an aid route that can be done with several standard alpine racks' worth of gear?

Oh, and I'd prefer to do clean aid since I don't want someone to shoot me off the wall if I get off route and start nailing some free climb.

fruit.gif

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sloth

you can pretty much up aid up anything clean.

if there is no one around aid godzilla...bring two rope...

this way yu can start with the bolt ladder and then move into the the good stuff...you will need only a standard rack

also jap gardens..

also thin fingers

Yeah, City Park is pretty easy with standard nuts and small cams, like tcu's. Bring lots of nuts. It's also very safe because it overhangs a bit and there isn't much to hit. Clipping the first bolt may be the crux.

CITY PARK IS GHEY THOUGH..

and played out...maybe if you were to cam hook to the top without gear it might lead to something...but seriously though.....when was thre last time you climbed a 100ft #4 stopper crack??????

i say do something with more variables, but still easy...just used to it ALL, not just one dumb move over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over......etc!!!!!!

bigdrink.gif

lamebone brak outta that same ole rut boyee! and find some cool as shit hidden!!!!!

Word. Thanks for the suggestions. Thin Fingers sounds good. But what about getting into the hand crack after the first section? I can't remember if you can aid that, or just have to make the step across from the little pedestal on the right. Whatever, I'll just see how it goes. I was hoping to get on an unpopular free route (or a route that's usually just aided) so I won't make everyone wait for hours as I bumble up the wall.

Word. Thanks for the suggestions. Thin Fingers sounds good. But what about getting into the hand crack after the first section? I can't remember if you can aid that, or just have to make the step across from the little pedestal on the right. Whatever, I'll just see how it goes. I was hoping to get on an unpopular free route (or a route that usually just aided) so I won't make everyone wait for hours as I bumble up the wall.

some smaller nutz, i wanna say either a #4 or #3 will get you into the hand crack!!

Fun times at Index today! We did Thin Fingers and damn if it wasn't scary to be hanging by two lobes of a green Alien. chucK joined us and did laps on Godzilla while I tangled in my aiders.

I got so excited about reaching the ledge that I did the mantel, forgot to unclip my etriers, and had to downclimb to unfuck myself. Good fun. Index rocks!

fruit.gif