Alpine Dads wanted

needtoclimb

I am a 45-year-old father with a full-time job but try get out into the mountains once every couple of months.  Every time I do so, I have to search the internet for a partner.  Most of the time I end up with a  partner who is single, no kids, young, extremely fit and has a much higher risk-tolerance than me.  Then I never see the person again as I may not be free to climb for several more months while they are ready to conquer a new climb the next day.

I am looking to put together an informal group of Alpine Dads; fairly fit alpine climbers who understand balancing work life, families and climbing.  If you are in the same boat I am, always looking for a partner for the one day a month you have free to get out, then shoot me a PM.  The idea is to have a group of alpine dads where we can reach out to each other to see who is available for the day you have free to climb, and climb together for years to come instead of just a single outing.  As the kids grow (mine are 6 and 8), get them more and more involved and start taking them up bigger peaks.

Couple of things I would like to do this year:  Ski ascent/descent of Whitehorse mountain in the next month, a 2-day light and fast ascent of Glacier Peak in August, and hopefully more if I can convince my wife the need to get away.  Other weekend outings will be comprised of backpacking trip with the family, and family cragging days at Index or Exit 32/28.  Look forward to hearing from you.

Portland Oregon dad checking in.  My dudes are 5 years and 6 months...If anyone wants in on this months dad trip, partner and I are driving down to climb/ski Shasta if weather and conditions are good 4-26/28...

Josh

503-9 tree tree-4534

I could have written this post.  I *should* have written this post years ago.  I'm 45 too, and I have a little more time than I used to, as my kids are older, but yeah, I really appreciate climbing with other parents (no offense to my other non-parent partners that read this - I swear I love y'all!).  

Hit me up if you're looking for a partner sometime.

cheers.

Thanks for the replies.  If you haven't already, shoot me a PM with your contact information so I can add you to an informal e-mail.  As for Oregon guys, I should haves stated that I live just north of Seattle in Mill Creek, and really looking for local partners to go hit stuff from about Adams to North Cascades.  Part of the problem with kids is that I often only get a day, so anything farther than a couple of hours just eats too much into that day.

If there are any more alpine dad's out there, send me your e-mail and phone number either in a PM, or post it on this forum and I will add you to the list.  

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 5:17 PM, needtoclimb said:

Part of the problem with kids is that I often only get a day, so anything farther than a couple of hours just eats too much into that day.

That is what drove me to do stuff like climb the full NR of Forbidden CTC in 14 hours, or the Coleman Headwall in 10.  Easy to get a day off, make as much of it as possible.

I live in Bend, OR. 33 with two kids. 2 years and 7 months. I'm in the same boat, though I am relative beginner with large aspirations. I do have some experience. Looking for partners and training buddies. 

Edited by BeavStu

Nice thread. 36 with a toddler. Looking to climb anything from crags near Seattle to two day trips on bigger peaks. I'm a big fan of the long single day trips as well. 

Rock and alpine climbing. Lead 5.8-5.9 and can follow into the mid 10s. Looking to do more alpine climbing as well. Hope to meet y'all this year. 

Bruce

Been following this board for awhile but signed up just for this.  I'll shoot you a PM as well.  39, three kids ages 13, 9, 7.  I'm in Eastern Oregon, but I don't have a problem driving places.  Mainly experienced climbing rock (lead 10s for sport when I'm in shape, which is less and less often these days, 9s for single pitch trad, and like to stick to 7 and below if I'm leading long, multipitch trad routes), but also some mountaineering including non-technical snow climbs.  Comfortable with basic crampon and ax use, but no experience with glacier travel.  Also backcountry skiing in the snowy season and spring (AIARE 1 certified).  Like a lot of others have said, I'm at a point in my life where I'm not into pushing my boundaries as much as just getting out and enjoying the mountains.  

Add me to the list. In the Salem area with 2 kids, 4 months and 15 months. Can get out 1 day a month with at least 2 weeks notice. Climbed Mt. Rainer and Mt. Washington last year. Climbed Mt. Hood, Mt. Adams and South Sister before that. Looking to tick off all the cascades in the next few years. Been going to the climbing gym a couple times a month since January. 

Edited by skimbleshanks

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone free for Memorial Day weekend? I managed to get the whole weekend off and want a grand adventure.

I don’t get out often due to the of work and family, but still maintain reasonable shape. I try to do an adventure once a month, but need to schedule it. My kids are 12 and 10 and they occasionally like to get out as well. I am 49 and lead comfortably at 9’s and 10’s depending depending on gym time I get, used to lead 5-5+ water ice though it seems it has been forever, getting into running and would like to do some running and climbing.

Anyways, things I am thinking about for this weekend are skiing in WA pass, Goat wall climbing, Squamish, Smith if the weather crapped out everywhere, or easy-moderate alpine rock

& ice classics. 

I'm headed to Skaha for the long weekend for some family climbing.    My next free weekend is July 13th.  I am thinking of either Adams Glaicer, Kautz Glacier or Liberty Ridge.  Trying to convince my wife to join me, but whether she joins or not, I'd want another person or two.

• Like 1

I'm 37 and live in Vancouver WA. My kids are ages 9 (boy), 10 (boy) , 12 (girl). I'm always looking for capable people to climb with in the alpine until my kids are old enough to be those people. I've been ticking off the all the major peaks in the Cascades for the past year (Hood in Winter and Spring, Helens 3 times, and Adams so far). My plans for this year are Baker, Rainier, Adams again, Helens again, Bailey, and Orizaba (Mexico). I'm having trouble finding dependable partners for these longer trips so hit me up if you can stick to a date.

Edited by Jeremy McLain

hey Alpine dads, anyone interested in a one day craggin trip somewhere between and including exit whatever up to squish or l'worth?  or alpine rock up at the wa pass?  looking to keep it below the 5.10's  whatever day is fine this memorial day weekend

Edited by genepires

1 hour ago, genepires said:

hey Alpine dads, anyone interested in a one day craggin trip somewhere between and including exit whatever up to squish or l'worth?  or alpine rock up at the wa pass?  looking to keep it below the 5.10's  whatever day is fine this memorial day weekend

I didn’t get a partner for this weekend and was going to head up to WA pass and go skiing. If you want to meet up out there for a climbing day that would be great. Send me a message if you are interested.