Heres a great one.......Best Summit View in Cascades?

highclimb

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

quote:

Originally posted by plexus:

Tomyhoi is pretty nice with Canada and its pastures and a town that appears just a few valleys away (Dru what town is that you see from there to the NW from there?). Also you have Larrabee, with its rust coloring, and the Pleiades and the border peaks (nothing looks cooler than these guys with a mantle of snow when you're driving to the ski area) right there. Also you get a far-away view of the Pickets, and some of the remote ones like Reboubt.

Also love looking into Nooksack Cirque by Shuksan and Icy.

Heard Baker is nice in clear skies, you can see the San Juans from there.

Beautiful scenic Chilliwack BC, unfortunately current home of Dru. Famous for smelling of manure and super high rate of teen pregnancy. Coincidentally, most churches per capita in BC!!

• 1 year later...

Glacier (bivy sites!), Luna, Logan, Primus, Old Guard (or LeConte, Sentinel).

Great views for beginners would be Ruth (NE face of Shuksan is incredible and there are bivy sites!), Sahale of course, but climb is better via Quien Sabe.

For hikers and momentarily lazy climbers, Hidden Lake Peak Lookout takes the cake with it's well maintained lookout building (there's a fuckin' bed for christ's sake!!) and great views of the Ptarmigan Traverse (only hiker view of S Cascade Glacier that I know of).

Tomyhoi sucks. It's all working up to be fantastic but then you crest out and see, hear, and smell the logging in the valley on the Canadian side. madgo_ron.gif Besides Glacier, all the volcanoes suck for views unless you like to see to infinity minus the haze over flatlands. rolleyes.gif Oregon blows...

Hey now, be nice. Everybody knows the best views in Oregon are in Washington. Best rock too… cry.gif

I was thinkin’ Maude as well, but so long as it hasn’t been taken, I’ll take Forbidden. There’s an eyeful or two of beautiful scenery from up there.

You know, an easy climb with breathtaking views is Faye Peak, near Mowich Lake. It can be done as a 3 peak loop with Mt. Pleasant & Hessong Rock. The views of Rainier & surrounding peaks & forest are incredible. Faye can be reached in an hour or 2, and it's easy enough you can take your non-climbing friends for a little adventure. I bet it would be a fun one to do in the winter too as a snowshoe trip, although a bit longer with the road closed.

Well, I have to say I like the view from Sahale, definitly cool, probably my favorite. However, I also enjoy the view from Pinnacle Peak (Mt. Rainier NP). You have a great view, actaully an awesome view of rainier, you can see lots of other peaks in MRNP, and you can see, Hood, Adams, St. Helens, and sometimes Jefferson, plus Goat Rocks. grin.gif

Not the best over all view, but the best experiance wile scoping a view, was 3Fjack 00'.... imagine; your sitting at the summit (witch is just enough for you to stratle), your all alone, you just toked some exelent homegrown on the ledge below... As your straining to catch a glimps of the ocean, you look out and see a pair of golden eagles circling the peak, they start from below you and circle you and the sumit untill they are 100ft above you... looking down at where you sit there is a wild flower, and a few insects carrying on like they are not going freeze to death tonight... gazing to the north you ponder who you are going to take with you on your trip up Mt. Jefferson... looking to the south you ponder Mt. Washington will be my next solo trip... now you ease down to your camp, thinking for someone who grew up climbing the rockys I'm starting to love these blasted volcanoes...

bigdrink.gif

mattp said:

I once saw Shasta and Rainier at the same time, from the top of S. Sister.

Wow....I always knew there was something 'special' about you Matt. That 180 degree field of vision and those independently articulating eyes must come in handy for many things. cantfocus.gif

I have to side with Ray on this one....NOTHING beats the view from the top of the Tooth!

• 2 years later...

Mt Pilchuck!

Best when it's a night time ascent to spend the night in the lookout...

Casually drink wine and eat dinner while you enjoy the stunning night time vistas, both mountain and city.

The real treat comes in the pre dawn hour before sunrise.

Hundreds of peaks silhouette the eastern skyline and the still sleeping cities remain in darkness, hidden in the shadow of the cascades.

Set the alarm for 45 minutes before sunrise, make some coffee, and watch the sun come up....good times.

Jim Dockery's nice photo, stolen from CC. com gallery

530917-3936RainierSunrise.jpg

530917-3936RainierSunrise.jpg.f51f6b0d1244478e7273f30d49cf2357.jpg