Heres a great one.......Best Summit View in Cascades?

highclimb

alright Dan Smith and i were in the car driving back from an awsome day of climbing. the car was kinda quiet except for the radio blasting the Who, so i desided to make conversation.

i am asked him what he thought the best summit view in the cascades was. we both aggreed that Forbidden Peak has a stellar view. i thought that ingalls is hard to beat on a clear sunny day you can see almost every major group in the range from Adams to baker and shuksan.

another great one is Dragontail. with awsone views of the stuart range.

so i would like to hear everyone elses perspective on this.

Have at it!

Aidan

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Boston Peak. Higher than Forbidden or Eldorado so you can see over those peaks. However, I think Mt. Buckner might take the cake with having over 3000 feet of prominence--but I haven't been up to the top of that one. Mt. Goode is fabulous but a little too far east to appreciate the snow and ice in the Cascade Pass area.

I'm a relative rookie on sheer numbers of Cascade Peaks but I'd have to say that the view from Sahale was pretty impressive, maybe not as hard or dirty a climb as Boston or Forbidden but every bit as well situated for panoramic splendor! Being able to see all the way to Rainier south, into Canada North Olympics west and pretty much to Idaho East. I think Boston is a better Peak to see than to see from.

The view from the top of Baker on a clear day is pretty spectacular too!

Seems to me that the time of year really influences the view -- i.e. early spring when everything is still snowy and alpine vs late summer when it's all talus and scree (on the East Side, at least).

One of my favorite early season views is the 360 degree panorama from South Early Winter Spire, the highest of the Liberty Bell Group -- you can see all the cornices, snowy aretes and avalanche debris around Washington Pass, the granite spires of the Liberty Bell Massif sticking up, the looming mass of Silverstar, North into the snowy Pasayten and the tip of Baker, West into the snowy reaches of the National Park, nearby Black Peak, the Chickamin Glacier, Dome, Forbidden, and many others . . . Very stellar early season view.

Later in the year, after it melts out a bit more, the view (not to mention the approach) is a bit compromised.

Tomyhoi is pretty nice with Canada and its pastures and a town that appears just a few valleys away (Dru what town is that you see from there to the NW from there?). Also you have Larrabee, with its rust coloring, and the Pleiades and the border peaks (nothing looks cooler than these guys with a mantle of snow when you're driving to the ski area) right there. Also you get a far-away view of the Pickets, and some of the remote ones like Reboubt.

Also love looking into Nooksack Cirque by Shuksan and Icy.

Heard Baker is nice in clear skies, you can see the San Juans from there.

Mt Fury - center of the bushwacking universe. You're right in the middle of the N. Cascades, surrounded by incredible peaks and three very gnarly cirques - Luna, McMillan and Goodell. It's a hard call since there are so many great summits!

-Mike

quote:

Originally posted by Mike:

Mt Fury - center of the bushwacking universe. You're right in the middle of the N. Cascades, surrounded by incredible peaks and three very gnarly cirques - Luna, McMillan and Goodell. It's a hard call since there are so many great summits!

-Mike

Now bushwack sounds like it is right up my alley!

I really enjoyed Eldorado! Right in the middle of the N. Cascades National Park with killer views all around! Maybe a more interesting topic could be what was the most unrewarding view from the top of a mountain you've ever seen (not including bad weather).