cilogear SMALL 40B worksac

devonp

Looking to buy a 40L (ish) climbing pack (cragging, overnight, glacier, etc.) for my wife. She has a short torso (14.5") so most all packs are a little too big for her. Combine that with being picky about features (removable lid, tool attachment, strippable, etc.) and I've landed on the cilogear 40B. Only problem is we are leaving on a trip soon, and their lead time might be cutting it too close. Anyone have a used one or any other suggestions?

thanks,

devon

Edited by devonp
Found

Devon, you might try calling them.  Sometimes they have certain size packs actually "in stock".  Otherwise I would recommend both Hyperlite Mountain Gear and Mountain Laurel Designs.  Both companies make good quality rugged packs that are super light and very simple.  I don't know if either company makes a lid though so if that is a must it might be a deal breaker.  And neither company has quite as many attachment points and straps to change the setup as CiloGear.  

You might try contacting one of these 2 listing from Mountain Project as well.

It is the ski version of the 40B so slightly different.
https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/116390470/fs-cilogear-40b-ski-pack-180-shipped

Maybe they would be willing to outright sell it instead of trade?
https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/116203903/wtt-cilogear-worksack-40b-large-for-cilogear-worksack-3030-45-or-60-large

Edited by mthorman
Added links

15 hours ago, devonp said:

Looking to buy a 40L (ish) climbing pack (cragging, overnight, glacier, etc.) for my wife. She has a short torso (14.5") so most all packs are a little too big for her. Combine that with being picky about features (removable lid, tool attachment, strippable, etc.) and I've landed on the cilogear 40B. Only problem is we are leaving on a trip soon, and their lead time might be cutting it too close. Anyone have a used one or any other suggestions?

thanks,

devon

How about a custom built custom built CCW Valdez or Cherynobyl?  Cheaper and way more durable.  Randy is very amenable to making packs to order, not just for size but fabric and features so you can get pretty much what you want.

• Like 1

I have two CCW packs, one valdez and one chaos. My wife has one chaos.  All three are bomber and light.  Cannot recommend them enough.  The chaos packs down so well. I've also hauled them up granite faces numerous times with no issues or tears. And Randy is the man.  Super quick turn around.

Edited by AnthonyL

I'll third the motion for CCW ...  I've been using a Chernobyl and a custom Valdez for a number of years, (Chernobyl has got to be pushing 20 years old by now) ... rock solid, bomber construction and great customer service.

The custom Valdez (40L) Randy made for me included a padded, Chernobyl like hip-belt with gear/tool loops for a better carry with heavier loads,  replacing the newer fixed crampons straps with his original design of daisy chains and removable/replaceable  straps along with a couple internal daisy's

A 40L pack on a 14.5" torso could be a challenge ...

Thank you Mr Rackliff

Thanks all! Should have posted here a long time ago! 

The CCW look great, but I think a little too big.(talked on the phone with them, and he agreed adjusting it that small would skew the dimensions) maybe for me though ... 

Looking to get that 40b ski pack on mountain project. 

The other one I found was the deuter guide 40+ sl but it was a weird frame in it, not sure. 

My wife is 5'3" for reference.

Not ordering cilogear, agreed to risky with a hard trip date. 

Hyperlite packs tend to be great if they fit her and you can easily find them in multiple places... 

Rock and Snow in New Platz has Cilo Guide 30l in stock... I personally have that pack and really like it.... The amount of strap attachments is a  little silly but they dont add much weight so its not a big deal... Carries really well... even though its advertised as 30L pack fully expanded it is 40L pack ... The other option would be to look at Osprey Mutant 38 - carries well and of a similar size to cilo 30L