Climbing Rainier with RMI(5 day)

Loco Raindrops

Everybody likes to knock RMI here cause they are the biggest and were the only guide company allowed for years on Rainier. There are several other guiding outfits on Rainier so check them all out and pick one and you will have a great experience on the mountain. If you go with a 5-6 day trip you will get climbing education and a summit chance. The guides give you a list of personal gear you must bring. That's it. They provide the group gear. Any person with decent fitness can climb Rainier by the standard routes.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/20/2019 at 2:20 PM, Whatcomboy said:

Everybody likes to knock RMI here cause they are the biggest and were the only guide company allowed for years on Rainier. There are several other guiding outfits on Rainier so check them all out and pick one and you will have a great experience on the mountain. If you go with a 5-6 day trip you will get climbing education and a summit chance. The guides give you a list of personal gear you must bring. That's it. They provide the group gear. Any person with decent fitness can climb Rainier by the standard 

Yeah, Ive been a backpacker for 30yrs+. I do a lot of late/deep winter solos here in the NE. Typically a week at the min but normally 2 or more. 

Pack weight is heavy being I dont do resupply points. If its that bad I drag a sled while on snowshoes. 

Summer I typically have a pulaski and other tools strapped to my pack. 

I have no doubt I can handle the terrain and the effort. I am a little worried about elevation being I havent been above 6000ft in years and lets be honest.

....nothing much here in the east.

But I think I should be fine. Gonna spend some extra time in Ashford and do a mad dash to Muir a few days in advance then back down to Ashford til we embark on our trip.

Edited by Loco Raindrops