St. Helens climb/ski

erez

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The MSHNVM site has a report from 1/28/03 which says that there is no snow at Marble Mountain Snopark, and that the snow doesn't start until 1 1/2 miles up the trail. They say that there is no snow on the Lahar. I don't know if they mean just the bottom or what. I sure hope that conditions are better than they make it sound. I am planning a trip on the 15th.

He's correct in saying that there is virtually NO snow on Lahar. Many of the activities of local snowmobilers have been suspended due to lack of snow - Lahar is one of their favorite spots. Also, snowmobile races on Mt. Adams were cancelled for this weekend. Privately, I'm celebrating.

Climbed via Worm Flows route Saturday the 8th. There was no snow at Marble Mt. Snow Park (no surprise for this year) and there wasnt much snow untill you break out of tree line. The snow was pretty soft at the lower elevations but got pretty icey towards the summit, snowboarders and skiers were having a tough time, crampons are recommended. On the way down the sun had softened most of the ice so that steps could be kicked at least a little for some footing. pitty.gif

• 1 month later...

So, did you go JGowans?

I'd love to hear how the conditions are now, firsthand and all...

Plab?

I'm starting to get suuuuper pysched for BVS (Big Volcano Season).

Speaking of volcanic freshy plabness, here's one I took from Bachy last weekend, for all you freshy luvers...

Hope you enjoy!

spbpic9149.jpg

Click and wait for full size!

Nah, I gave it a body swerve. It was supposed to be some considerable avalanche danger and weather wasn't supposed to be too good. I think St. Helens in the Spring should be done in sun & sweet corn smile.gif

Seriously though, I'm hoping I didn't miss a good day but I didn't think the conditions were optimal. Maybe next week...

was up there 3/28-29 - got a late start and camped out on the crater rim - amazing sunrise! conditions were good, even though weather/avalanche reports were dubious - snow pack in good condition from what I could tell (probing with poles/ax)

right about the crowds though - must have passed 30-40 people going up when I came down saturday morning, and that was all before 9am! crazy crazy crazy

I went up yesterday - the crowds are appearing, thats true. I left the lot at sunrise and was among the first to top off who didn't camp up top. The earlier you get towards dawn the better the snow is - I was able to boot most of the way up in the morning. Snow will need a little bit more time before the corn harvest can begin.

The climbers bivy road was driveable for about 2 miles w/low clearance and 2WD. Does anybody know how far you can get up there with a truck?