My six-pack

Apparently Jon however can write any ole swill he chooses on the subject. Body builders do ALOT more than crunches Hanging frog kicks,etc.. low fat when aiming for the abs that everyone adores . I have worked out with and have known personally many body builders and the ripping process to bring the abs out without fat on them starts about 6 weeks before the competition. I can't believe that you think crunches will do the trick . Typical bullshit from jon.kiss my ass wannabe

Hey Larson what the fuck is up your ass? Sorry I haven't known many professional meat heads midgets body builders. I read an article in Muscle and Fitness by Dorian Yates about ab workouts, and he said most guys just do crunches because aparently they don't want the muscles to get to big (if you can believe that), and he says he just does lots and lots of normal crunches. But what doesn he know he's only won Mr. Universe or whatever a couple of times. Tell you midget friends I said hi. the_finger.gif

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You didn't lose weight training because you replaced the fat with muscle, which (trumpet please) WEIGHS MORE THAN FAT!!!! Thus, when you are training, your weight doesn't fluctuate that much, BUT you are in much better shape. fruit.gif

Unless you eat less, calorie intake less then calories burnt= weigh loss. blush.gif

Ah, the classic debate over the best way to lose the love handles. Remember, men tend to store any fat there first, so it's the last to go. Doing hundreds of crunches won't remove it (no such thing as spot reducing) but to have a strong core that will help with climbing, you need to include exercises that will translate directly to climbing -- our Feb-March Body Results newsletter (due out next week) will have an article focused on just this topic. If you're trying to build strength, ADD WEIGHT to the abdominal work; if you're trying to lose bodyfat, CHANGE YOUR NUTRITION and ADD INTERVALS (high intensity Interval Training or HIIT) such as those at http://www.bodyresults.com/E2FartlekIntervals.asp. And finally, limit alcohol as much as possible (what, you traitor, Court, what are you SAYING!!!???) as alcohol carries a hefty 7 calories/gram, vs. protein 4cal/gm, carb 4 cal/gm, and fat the biggest punch at 9 cal/gram. So yes, in terms of energy the body can use, alcohol is pretty much EMPTY calories and reducing consumption by merely a beer a day (150 calories) means that with no other changes, you'd lose (or keep gaining) a whopping 15 pounds A YEAR. How do you like them apples???

Actually, I'd modify Dan_Larson's "3 things needed" by saying 1) high intensity interval training, 2) appropriate strength training to increase lean muscle tissue and boost metabolic rate, and 3) APPROPRIATE nutrition -- some people will have good results with Atkins, others (who need plenty of endurance) may find they totally crash on merely 60 grams of carbs a day (I know I personally could never, ever go that low for more than a day or two without seeing major downturns in my aerobic capacity, and my performance is far more important to me than aesthetics). Finding the appropriate nutrition plan is as individualized as appropriate workouts, it takes trial and error, records of what works and doesn't work for you, and willingness to try new things rather than continuing to do the same things over and over...

Thanks Court! I'm curious about the interval training, why would you do that over longer more moderate workouts? My understanding of intervals is that you burn more calories but aren't tapping your fat stores like you would when your HR is lower during moderate exercise.

One thing I've read in one of the fitness mags is that you should avoid doing twists when doing crunches or situps because it buts too much torsional stress on you spine. What is your take on this?

No more bigdrink.gif !!!!! madgo_ron.gif

150 calories in a beer

beer 7 calories/gram

21 grams of alcohol in a standard beer????? really?????

lets take a pint glass of beer bigdrink.gif drink it bigdrink.gif

OK take another pint glass, this time a hypothetical one...

a Pint is about 700 mL +/-...

average beer alcohol concentration is 5%

that's 35 mL of Alcohol.

now for water 1 mL = 1 gram, but alcohol is lighter than water; even applying an 0.8 conversion factor that would give us equivalent of 28 grams of alcohol, or ~200 calories.

Then, there is sugar in beer too, also yeast etc.

Courtenay, where do you get those Calorie reduced beers of yours? yellaf.gifbigdrink.gif

Anyways the point is, an article in the latest Scientific American recommends moderate consumption (less than 2 beer equivalents per day or approximately one pint) as beneficial for most adults. bigdrink.gif Yum!

The effects of horsecock on the circulatory system, and recommended intake of same, has not yet been addressed HCL.gif

Anyways the point is, an article in the latest Scientific American recommends moderate consumption (less than 2 beer equivalents per day or approximately one pint) as beneficial for most adults. bigdrink.gif Yum!
have you seen the body plan of the average Scientific American subscriber? yellaf.gifwave.gifwazzup.gif

Jon,

FOR FAT BURNING and body comp changing, high intensity interval training (like strength training) does more in the long run since the body has to recover from it like it does a hard strength or climbing workout. HOWEVER, for most alpinists, you still need the endurance training in order to keep up with the goats out there who boogie up the mountain side, so I'm NOT saying exclude moderate intensity cardio, but BE SURE to include 1-2 interval workouts a week.

As for rotational exercises, if you're going to be twisting and turning during climbs (any overhangs will have a component of it) or alpine outings (shovel snow, lift your backpack onto your back, etc.) you're going to have to load the spine in rotation...

Hmm, that was a "corner of the napkin" calculation, I guess the "serving" of beer I was talking about was smaller than a pint... It's not "lite beer", just LESS BEER -- which will ALSO help in getting rid of the 15 pounds. POINT IS, if you're consuming more than 150 calories of alcoholic beverage a day (7/week) and you reduce in half or all, then you're going to lose 7.5-15 pounds WITHOUT CHANGING MUCH ELSE IN YOUR EATING PLAN. Pretty cool, huh? Sorry guys... confused.gif

Well I am occasionally a hot head and it is a flaw . Pride is a touchy thing to some people and I am one of em. Occasionally I feel I can add something to this site with some worth and that was the case this time. When it got pulled I well ,was hurt. Once again I must have my foot removed from mouth. Sorry AGAIN to those I offended. I JUST WANT TO BE LOVED

Hmm, that was a "corner of the napkin" calculation, I guess the "serving" of beer I was talking about was smaller than a pint... It's not "lite beer", just LESS BEER -- which will ALSO help in getting rid of the 15 pounds. POINT IS, if you're consuming more than 150 calories of alcoholic beverage a day (7/week) and you reduce in half or all, then you're going to lose 7.5-15 pounds WITHOUT CHANGING MUCH ELSE IN YOUR EATING PLAN. Pretty cool, huh? Sorry guys... confused.gif

Now you are scaring me, if I stopped drinking beer, I would qualify as Anorexic...and have to eat more cheeburga_ron.gifHCL.gif to compensate...

How quickly are those 7 cal/gram released from the alcohol by your metabolism? Can you get an energy rush from it? Should I trade in my GU packets for a Hip Flask of rum??? yellaf.gif

To clarify, I got to this thread a bit late and Jon must have seen something that was inappropriate and pulled a bunch of spray. By my subsequent editing of Larsen's statements I was simply trying to clarify a few things -- no hard feelings, eh Dan? I didn't see what was originally posted or what was pulled...

• 2 weeks later...

Besides a healthy diet (sorry... no beer! cry.gif ) and building muscle, the key is LOW INTENSITY CARDIO!!! Interval workouts will NOT burn fat. They are mainy anaerobic activities, and anerobic burns only carbs. Lower intensity cardio uses mainly fat as an energy source. Also, remember to keep working on muscle mass, because the more muscle, the higher your resting metabolism will be and thus you will burn more energy(fat) all day long. Good luck!! cool.gif

(I'm an exercise physiology major... If you have any other questions, let me know!)

adventuregal said:

Besides a healthy diet (sorry... no beer! cry.gif ) and building muscle, the key is LOW INTENSITY CARDIO!!! Interval workouts will NOT burn fat. They are mainy anaerobic activities, and anerobic burns only carbs. Lower intensity cardio uses mainly fat as an energy source. Also, remember to keep working on muscle mass, because the more muscle, the higher your resting metabolism will be and thus you will burn more energy(fat) all day long. Good luck!! cool.gif

(I'm an exercise physiology major... If you have any other questions, let me know!)

Keep studying. Although proportionally more fat is utilized as a fuel source during "LOW INTENSITY CARDIO", it still is used during high intensity exercise. The rate of fat-burning does not change much with increase in exercise intensity.

freeclimb9 said:

adventuregal said:

Keep studying. Although proportionally more fat is utilized as a fuel source during "LOW INTENSITY CARDIO", it still is used during high intensity exercise. The rate of fat-burning does not change much with increase in exercise intensity.

Thanks, I will keep studying. Can never know too much, right? You're correct, higher intensity exercise does burn SOME fat. BUT... I know for a fact (unless of course my textbooks are wrong?!) that low intensity still burns more. And besides, with a higher intensity workout, the duration would be shorter and thus less fat burned. With a long slow workout, you will burn more fat and for a longer period of time. I'm sticking with my previous advice. smile.gif

adventuregal,

read the following two articles, then go school your professors. (synopsis: "In fact, total fat degradation was actually as high at 85% V02max as it was at 25% V02max, even though the former intensity is noted for its reliance on carbohydrate and the latter intensity is often referred to as a special 'fat-burning' zone of exercise.")

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0895.htm

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0424.htm

freeclimb9 said:

adventuregal,

read the following two articles, then go school your professors. (synopsis: "In fact, total fat degradation was actually as high at 85% V02max as it was at 25% V02max, even though the former intensity is noted for its reliance on carbohydrate and the latter intensity is often referred to as a special 'fat-burning' zone of exercise.")

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0895.htm

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0424.htm

Thanks, I'll check them out. And then I will be one pissed off lady if you turn out to be right. (I KNEW I should've chosen a different school!!! madgo_ron.gif ) I don't even pretend to know everything about this area... Maybe someday I'll have an inkling as to what is going on? Luckily... I have been using my book as a mouse pad(great place for it, huh?) so it is right here handy for me... "Muscle glycogen provides the primary fuel during intense exercise." and "Stored intramuscular fat and fat derived from adipocytes becomes important during prolonged exercise. In this situation, the fatty acid molecules supply more than 80% of the exercise energy requirements." All I can say is - as oxygen consumption rises, this book tells me that the amount of carbs burned increases and fat burned decreases. And long duration = more fat burned. But there's always debate about this stuff, and there are studies to support both sides. Thanks for bringing my attention to a different point of view. Someday maybe we'll know the truth. Until then...

bigdrink.gif

(My personal view... Who cares if it's higher calories. It tastes good. Why deprive yourself of something you love just for those 5 extra lbs? Live it up, man!)

Isn't it also true that high intensity workouts help increase muscle mass and boost metabolism? This would in effect burn more overall fat calories because the body primarily uses fat as fuel for norlam everyday activities. Higher metabolism = higher burn rate when you're just sitting around. Mixing them in with the overall endurance stuff adds a bonus to your overall workout plan. wave.gif

Interval workouts will burn fat unless you are using a long rest period . Keep it intense with short rest periods and be true to yourself. If you are a slacker give it up this is not for you Don.t need the equations for proper mass or whatever don't check my heart rate and manage to get the job done. I cannot believe all the dweebs that buy into all of this crap , personal trainers please give me a break if I want a cheerleader I will join the football team grow a pair and get it done HOOOOOOOOOOOOOO AHHHHHHHH

Edited by Dan_Larson