My six-pack

I like to joke about my six-pack abdomen. It not the rippling six pack that you see in muscle mags. It's more of a small tire that I attribute to drinking beer. Over-all, I'm really quite fit and in pretty good shape. I know this is a good "reserve" for a long alpine climb, but really, I'd like to reduce it. Every one says cardio is the way to loose fat, but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere. I've even layed off the micro-brews in favor of lighter beer. Any other suggestions???

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, I've actually heard that eating fatty foods at the beginning of meals helps signal your body that you are satiated and you end up eating less. Have your dessert first, and eat less overall...sounds like a plan to me. You could probably drop the beer for scotch and make some net calorie improvements.

I'm in the same boat as David. I'm pretty lean except for my "utility belt". I've done a bunch of reading on this shit and trying to figure it all out. I think it is part diet and part doing crunches. From the sounds of it you don't have to do all these fancy ab drills you see in the Mens magazines, I guess pro body builders just do normal crunches only. The beer over scotch thing is a myth. Actually alcohol gets converted directly to fat from what I've read.

Hey Court what's you take on this?

You could probably drop the beer for scotch and make some net calorie improvements.

My problem is that the motion of raising glass, imbibing, repeat is so ingrained that it doesn't seem to slow down whatever I'm drinking. That makes your idea really dangerous! Not to mention I don't/can't drink whiskey of any kind. I prefer Rum, Vodka or Tequilla but not straight, so add mixer (tonic or juice) and do I really save on calorie intake?

Hmmm, I see your point. I think you just gotta do more excercising then, 'cause drinking that "low-cal" beer just isn't an option, that stuff tastes like crap.

Everything I've ever read about weight loss says that "spot reduction" is a myth. Basically that doing sit-ups or crunches is no better than anything else for reducing gut. Of course my personal experience is non-existent, I'm like 5'8" 145.

my (limited) understanding is that it isn't the

calories in your booze but the alcohol itself alters

the the way the body lays down fat stores. I think

this is the case for me, if I cut down on bigdrink.gif

I don't necessarily change weight but I do change

shape a little.

The best way I found to lose 15lbs (both fat and muscle)

was to live at high altitude for 6 weeks and get a 3rd world

stomach bug. rolleyes.gif

I like to joke about my six-pack abdomen. It not the rippling six pack that you see in muscle mags. It's more of a small tire that I attribute to drinking beer.

Dude! That's not a six pack, that's a keg!

fern:

The best way I found to lose 15lbs (both fat and muscle)

was to live at high altitude for 6 weeks and get a 3rd world

stomach bug.

Yeh I did that once, but I didn't have to go anywhere, and it only took me a week. Ugh.

as for the drink of choice for not taking in to many calories...gin n' tonics with diet tonic. wink.gif

"Alcohol contains calories, but drinking alcohol doesn't lead to weight gain, according to extensive medical research, and many studies report a small reduction in weight for women who drink."

Check it out here

woo hoo !! bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

I'm with the guys here. It's not a health or fitness issue, it's an aesthetic one. Rather than get a big butt like most of the chicas, I gain it around the middle too. Spending more time pulling down the plastic seems to help a bit, but I'd like something sure-fire to get rid of it! tongue.gif

Atkins diet. It works. Got rid of my little tire.

HCL.gifHCL.gifHCL.gifcheeburga_ron.gifcheeburga_ron.gifHCL.gifHCL.gifcheeburga_ron.gifcheeburga_ron.gif

Without the bread.

Atkins is not good for you!!! What happens is without eating carbs, all the small amounts of carbs you do eat get stored as fat, also all the weight you lose is water! The best way to lose weight or get better abs is to burn more calories than you eat and pull on plastic to get those abs in shape. Do some tension traverses. fruit.gif

I had an earlier post in this forum and apparently somebody took it off . My informattion is accurate to the T and there was no profanity. whats the problem? a little LARSON BASHING or what?????????

Here's your post Dannyboy.

3 things absolutely needed for the beautiful ab deal . They are Cardio exercise, abdominal exercise and a low fat diet . Unfortuneatly all 3 are needed 2out of 3 won't cut it . If it was easy everyone would have em. By the way I don.t have the desire to do the low fat thing but you can still have a flat stomach (or close ) if you do lots of crunches and cardio

Edited by jon

Apparently Jon however can write any ole swill he chooses on the subject. Body builders do ALOT more than crunches Hanging frog kicks,etc.. low fat when aiming for the abs that everyone adores . I have worked out with and have known personally many body builders and the ripping process to bring the abs out without fat on them starts about 6 weeks before the competition. I can't believe that you think crunches will do the trick . Typical bullshit from jon.kiss my ass wannabe

The best thing I ever did to improve my fitness level was to go see a professional Nutritionist. She completely reworked the way I eat and taught me so much. Basically, I thought I knew alot but it turns out I was operating on a bunch of bad info. Bottom line: I lost around 23 lbs in 4 moths during 2001. I have kept if off to this date. The best news is that my performance went up BIG TIME. I am faster and stronger than I have ever been. This is what worked for me. Oh yeah, I had put in up to 12 hours and even 15 hours a week of Cardio training when I was Adventure Racing and didn't loose 1 single pound!!!!