How long is your Smartwool or Icebreaker lasting?

jon

I'm curious how long people's merino tops and bottoms have been lasting from Smartwool or Icebreaker? Most of the stuff I have is Icebreaker and around 10 years old, I've been really happy with them, but in the last few years they have totally deteriorated. Lots of small holes mostly on the thinner stuff. I generally don't wash them a lot and hang dry them. Part of the reason I'm asking is while I haven't seen any other signs, I wonder if I have carpet beetles in my house and want to rule that out before buying more.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've wondered about the holes in my circa 2010 smartwool base layers, also considered some kind of critter was responsible in some way.  Sounds like it could be just normal planned obsolescence for these things.  Still useable but getting a bit long in the tooth.  Definitely always air dry these things as well.  The icebreaker stuff I have is not holding up nearly as well.

Granted I think 3+ years of those were busy with baby/kids and not getting a ton of usage. I originally thought wool products lasted "forever" but I think the fibers are much much thinner in these garments, and lets face it not the greatest business model to make something that never breaks down. 

Glad to not be the only one to consider critters. They started falling apart after I moved into a new house, but that also coincided with getting out much more often.

Which brand are people having the most luck with now? I noticed there are about another dozen brands in the marketplace now.

The smartwool stuf I have is still working from 10 years ago...I have some moth holes till I got a cedar chest to put stuff in. I also have bought some wool for hunting from First Lite and that stuff is pretty good, but some of it isn't as thick and isn't lasting as long as the Smartwool stuff. 

I have some Merino dress shirts that are fine, and a 320 Icebreaker that does have a few holes in it, but it's also odd and I wear it quite a bit. Thinking about it a bit more I think it's mostly the age, usage. My other hypothesis is because I don't wash them frequently, the build up of salt is weakening the fibers.

My Icebreakers boxer briefs came out of the drier full of holes after wearing only once.  I know they should not be dried in the dryer, it was an accident.  My Icebreakers
GT 250 shirt sustained a hole when a pine needle from a tree grabbed it.  After wearing it for a couple hours under a pack, the shoulders developed big holes.  I think merino in general is very fragile, that is why you see manufacturers blending it with bamboo (cool) and polyester (defeats the purpose).  Maybe a 50% merino, 25% bamboo, 25% silk blend, properly spun, would have better durability and wicking properties?

My Smartwool socks wear out in the heals very quickly, but I will only wear merino liners under VBLs.  On Denali, I had a pair of Smartwool liners and a pair of synthetic liners. After a few days the synthetic liners smelled like death, the merino smelled fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve had my merino wool base layers for just over a year now and they still look new. I’ve used em quite heavilly with rather minimal washing and all that. I usually have a few layers above them so never had any durability issues. Essentially from fall to spring, these are the first thing I always bring regardless of the activity. My experience with synthetics and I’ve been hooked on icebreaker ever since.