Dam at Eight Mile

olyclimber

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

problems:

1) no solution can increase the net amount of water available.  humans WILL live with the existing quantity, wishful thinking notwithstanding

2) the dams do predate the wilderness act by a generation - current legal status appears indeterminate, and most likely indeterminable.  I eat apples, pears, cherries, and Wenatchee River salmon and steelhead...  for the time being...

3) what constitutes "maintenance"?  does "maintenance allow a dam to be restored to its historical dimensions?  who decides, and how?  again, likely legally indeterminable...

4)  what constitutes "impact"?  aren't trails and thunderboxes human impact?  can these be legally permitted in a "Wilderness Area"?  bolts...? rappel anchor tat?   The mini excavator currently sitting at the eightmile dam might not be noticed by an inattentive visitor...   the eightmile lake trail is built on a pre-existing roadbed, much of which is still identifiable to a knowledgeable attentive hiker - the impact of driving the little machine out would likely be unidentifiable to most hikers within a few years...

I am skeptical that our society is capable of resolving these issues.  We will continue to quarrel over them until our civilization, like every civilization before it, collapses.  So I'm just gonna relish living - knowing that: "shit happens... and sometimes it happens to me"

On 2/2/2019 at 3:05 PM, montypiton said:

I am skeptical that our society is capable of resolving these issues.  We will continue to quarrel over them until our civilization, like every civilization before it, collapses.  So I'm just gonna relish living - knowing that: "shit happens... and sometimes it happens to me"

me too. i used to be more optimistic, but that was during better days (or was it just more ignorant days?)