Feet problems

Scott_J

I want some beta on a problem I am having.

In the last year after running (next AM) my heels on the bottom back portion to the lower outside edge hurt like HELL. After suffling around a bit the pain goes away. I buy new shoes every 6 months to avoid the worn out shoe problem, switched to a foot bed to see if that would help, so far nothing. I always buy the best cushioned heel shoe I can find. My ortho doc told me only to buy AIR MAX to protect my knee(s), but I decided to try another brand with a good heel cushion, but no change. ANY ANSWERS would be appreciated.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couple of questions. Does it hurt when you press the bottom of your heel with your thumb? And where, closer towards the heel back or closer to the mid part of the heel? If it hurts towards the back end it could be a heel spur. Hurting in the middle of the heel is often a component of plantar faciatis, kinda tearing of the arch fiberous material. Heel spurs often need operations, plantar faciatis can be a chronic problem. There's some good running websites that discuss injuries.

If you haven't been seeing a foot guy that sees runners there are a few that advertise in Northwest Runner, or ask at Jock and Jill for a reference.

I agree it sounds like plantar fasciitis or heel spurs. I had plantar fasciitis a couple years ago and don't envy you! If that's what it is, the dr will likely recommend NSAIDS and rest, possibly a different kind of shoe and orthodics. The podiatrist that I went to said that cushioning wasn't the biggest issue - stability was what to look for in running shoes. (I pronate a fair amount.) I didn't need prescription orthodics either - I got Superfeet instead (avail at most running stores/outdoor gear shops). Super Jock and Jill also have a great insert - forget what it's called - but it's made of compressed foam and not as hard as Superfeet. Not running on concrete if at all possible is important, and, if you are on your feet most of the day at work, really good, supportive shoes/inserts are a must. Most of the shoes out there are pretty crappy. I did have to stay off my feet for about 3 months for them to heal - mine hurt not just in the morning but all day. Since then, tho, I've followed the dr's advice and haven't had a reoccurance at all. If you're dealing with heel spurs, some of the same tips might help, but surgery might be needed. www.heelspurs.com has some additional info on stretching, exercises, etc, and the staff at Super Jock and Jill have been great help too. Good Luck!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey thanks for the help. I bought new running shoes from Jock and Jill. Have been taking time off from working out(those of you that know me know this is not easy I am very hyper). Good news is the feet are feeling better. Besides the shoes I think I know how I was screwing up my arches and heels. After every run I would do between 150 and 300 toe raises on the steps leading into my house to strenghten my calf muscles for ice climbing and edging. I believe that this muscle group does not require that amount of reps especially using my feet like I did in the entire routine. I have always tried to do low weights and high reps for exercise but this is one time I think I over did it. anyway, thanks again for the beta. smile.gif

SS, glad you're feeling better. Yes, sounds like it was a case of overtraining. Might want to try some weighted calf raises instead on occasion (since repetitive movement over and over such as 300 calf raises will compound the problem) and stretch those calves well.