Looking for a climbing partner/mentor

cdgclimbs

Hello everyone,

I'm new to cascadeclimbers and also new to the PNW.  I recently moved to Portland and am looking to connect with a climber that would be willing to help me learn skills to climb alpine routes.  

I have been rock climbing for a few years, but have not had the opportunity to venture beyond sport leading and learning to set anchors with gear.  I have also done some basic steep ice climbing (I will be at Ouray this year) but need a partner to get out and practice.  I have a lot of experience backpacking and hiking big days to higher (14k) elevation, and am an avid winter camper etc.  Basically, I want to get on some glaciated mountains and do some real mountaineering, working towards more technical terrain, but need someone who is willing to show me the ropes.  

I'm highly motivated and willing to travel.  I am hoping to take some classes this spring, but having a mentor would be a more ideal situation, if possible.  If anyone is interested, shoot me an message.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope you find someone willing to show you around.  I suspect most people are uneasy being a mentor but are fine with requests for climbing partners with you being honest about your skills.  If you could change your title to just looking for climbing partner and drop the mentor part, you may get more hits.  maybe I am wrong and you get a good mentor.

FWIW, I did an electrical apprenticeship so my expectations for mentorship may be much more involved than you are expecting.  :)

A lot of people got there start using local climbing clubs and when the experience level is adequate, stick with the friendships developed there and to casual internet hookups like this site.  But I am old-ish and started in pre internet days so maybe that tract is unnecessary. 

I'd echo Gene's comment. Do some homework, pick an objective that you think is within your grasp, and post a partner request along the lines of 'psyched to get out and do X in the coming weeks' and see if you get any hits. You'll get out and start the climbing partner dating process...

• 2 weeks later...