Give your $.02 on Altimeters

Desey

I have an etrex summit. So far, I have not had any problems with the altimeter. I do take the time to calibrate it at the trailhead, with a known point or GPS information.

The electronic compass uses a lot of battery power, the specs say 16 hours versus 22 hours with the compass turned off. I generally always leave the compass off, and I still carry my trusty Silva Ranger.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, you can take your Avocet to most jewlers and they will replace the battery. I only sent mine in once. The jewler can't do the deep adjust, but they will change the battery in about 5 minutes. If you are on the Eastside Lake Street Diamond Company in Kirkland charges $8 for a new battery.

I recall Campmor having an altimeter watch on sale for ~$90, check out their website.

I have a Magellan GPS that needs three satellite signals to get a fix and an altitude. The thing has only had six to eight strong signals at any one time, but that's rare. I think they advertise 12 as the max. Here I am starting in on those old fart comments, "Why I remember back in 1990 when we had those GPS units, why they were as big as a VCR and heavy too." rolleyes.gif

I have a Casio triple sensor that I've had for 7 or 8 years. It has been a good reliable performer. I've used it in the field mapping (with a topo, two fixes and an altitude you can nail your location easily, sometimes you don't need the fixes) and climbing. I've found its accuracy is within about 20 feet, as long as I start at a known altitude. The only gripe that I have about it is that it only goes up to 13k feet, but you can game that by calibrating it to read 2k high, (for Rainier climbs.)

I also like the Garmin Vista. With loaded maps and waypoints, it made climbing in whiteout on Glacier and Shuksan a snap last summer. I'm sold on it, although I still bring a backup compass and topo in case the GPS goes TU. And get the lithium AAs; they rock. They're light, last forever, work in the cold and are worth the $5/pair they cost.