Retrofitting Tech Binding Holes Into existing Boots

G-spotter

So let's say a guy wants to use skis to approach climbs but climb in mountain boots not ski boots.

Has anyone ever successfully retrofitted the holes for tech bindings into an existing non-ski boot? Are there cobblers that can do this? Like if one could get an old pair of Koflachs or something and then get a new sole put on that takes tech bindings for modern AT skis?

Seems like it might be cheaper than spending $1000 for the dead bird ski boots that purport to climb like climbing boots.

• 10 months later...

Year old thread... I know.

I have been going fast and heavy by wearing my ski boots (Sportiva Sideral 2.0) for long approaches, carrying my climbing boots. But it is heavy and makes for a cold change over (twice!). However, finding patches of good snow and good skiing is certainly better on the way out with a real ski, boot, and bindings.

For shorter approaches, Silvrettas continue to be the binding of choice for me. However, I have thought about making some boot soles that would attach to the ski boot like a crampon, and then have tech fittings to integrate with my touring skis.