2018/2019 OR/WA Ice Conditions

ggres335

Any info on Chair Peak or Guyes S.W. Gully? Thinking about a run over this week if Avy conditions aren't too rough.

Went up Icicle Creek yesterday. Ice is melting alot during the day, but another deep freeze cycle may bring out the gully across the road from the "Icicle Creek W. of Snow Lk" sign pullout. Hubba Hubba looked thinnish but innish from the road. Going to try to give it a go this week.

On 3/4/2019 at 5:53 PM, ggres335 said:

Where is this "gully"? Rainier area?

Nisqually bridge.  Half way between Longmier and Paradise.     We also climbed 2 lines right at the start of road to Ricksecker Point.    One was thin and un-protectable the other fat and vertical at the top.    You have to rap in and climb out.   Park where the road is closed and rap over the edge right there.

On 3/4/2019 at 5:17 PM, Peter Way said:

"Mikey's Gully" thin, but in.     "Mikey Likes It" not quite touching down.    We didn't look at Narada Falls.

IMG_2516.JPG

Never really knew what we climbed, but looking at the photo, that is what John Tarver, myself and Russel Erikson climbed back on Saturday January 12, 1980.   We were young, I was the old guy at 19, and John and Russ were 18.

And we had a great time in the Longmire restaurant before the climb listening to a coked up Dr Elliot Openheim MD spew and spray about a whole variety of climbing stuff to his unfortunate climbing and breakfast partner.

And no, I'm not scared of Elliot reading this and suing me for slander for refering to him as likely being coked up.  A quick google search will tell anybody all they need to know about this former member of the Seattle climbing community.

80-1-1.jpg

80-1-2.jpg

80-1-3.jpg

80-1-5.jpg