Kautz Route up Rainier

Jonmc8

Looking for a partner to climb the Kautz Route on rainier with me early season 2019 (a long weekend in May). 

I know it’s early to commit but wanted to put it out there and be in touch over the coming months of planning.

I live in Columbus, OH and will be booking travel specifically for the climb. I climb out west several times a year so trust me I can be relied on to come through on this trip. I will probably stay with friends in Portland the night before and drive up to paradise the morning of. Looking to camp at Hazard and summit early day 2 after climbing the ice chutes. Open to descending by rappelling the chutes and downclimbing the Kautz Route or by climbing up and over and descending the DC Route. 

Not interested in Ski descent as I don’t spend nearly enough time on skis to trust my skill.

look forward to hearing from you!

Edited by Jonmc8

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a heads up, the kautz chute will be completely snow covered in may. If you really want to experience climbing the few pitches of ice the chute has to offer you would have to go more towards mid to late summer when the ice is exposed. Still a very scenic and secluded route regardless of the time of year and I totally recommend it. 

• 2 months later...