Nicotine

Toast

Sorry I jumped on this one late in the Chick Flick thread, but it hits so close to home I thought it deserved its own thread. Muffy, I can feel for you... I go through the same thing every day. I've fallen off the wagon so many times I need to warranty my helmet.

For those of you who don't have a tobacco habit, it's just too easy to say "just quit" or "you don't need it." But the reason it's an addiction is it's not so fucking easy to abstain.

See. I stopped chewing tobacco about six months ago. I've flirted with packs of American Spirits and leftover bar cigarettes since then. I've gone through the same cycle probably a dozen times in the last twenty years. I'm able to stop long enough for the physiological dependencies to cease, but I've succumbed oh so often to the temptation of cheating, mooching a smoke, just one, then another, then... the_finger.gif

sunflower seed, budweiser and herb ... 4 hours per day. you won't remember what a cigarette is.

Unfortunately, the scenario above is when I'm weakest. So far, I've made it through two days without... but you can't imageine how badly I want a smoke right now. cry.gif

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I so feel for you! but you DO NOT NEED to smoke. It's gross and and week. You are stronger and better than a stupid drug. For me it was a matter of at last deciding that I would not let ANYTHING have power over how I feel about myself.

I am still not feeling very social. and I am still struggleing. But the fact that I made it threw yesterday with out smoking despire a visit from my parents is HUGE. If I can. YOU CAN smile.gif it is a matter of will. Think each smoke out to the end. I know if I smoke again, eben just one I will buy a pack and then a carten and then I will die of lung cancer before I am ready to leave this life.

into my 3rd week I find my energy returning and that is a struggle. I am doing things that I never had time to do before, but it is those bored restlesss moments that are the hardest for me. I don't think my house has ever been SO CLEAN laugh.gif

Last night I was walking out of the local grocery store when I witnessed how two down and out guys (who were in the process of taking back cans and bottles for money) fueled their addiction. They stopped at the ashtray in front of the door, rummaged through the offerings, and triumphantly pulled out some unknown person's leftover butt, which they then proceeded to light up and start passing back and forth.

Here’s my thinking wrt nicotine:

That cigarette you want will suck. It’ll never be as good as you think it’ll be. It’ll taste terrible and stink up your life and you’ll be kicking yourself for being an idiot. The cigarette you really want comes about a pack and a half after the first one, maybe two weeks from now.

The question I ask myself is: “Do I really want to smoke two packs just to get one good one two weeks from now?” Framed that way my answer is no, not really, I don’t. In fact, not just no… Hell No! But that’s just what I tell myself. I’d tell you to give it a couple of weeks. A month goes by without ‘em and you’ll be wondering what the big deal was.

nonanon, you're so right dude. I do kinda curl my nose at the smell. Many times, I suck on this cancer stick with absolute disgust. "Why the fuck did I do that?" But then there's the rare occasion when I'm buzzed on a few beers, maybe a little bleery from another kinda smoke, and I've been fretting without one a long time and am just jonesin. Then one comes my way the_finger.gif and I light up and inhale, and I feel this wonderful sense of satisfaction.

I think the tobacco industry invented that word, satisfaction, cuz that's exactly what it is... sometimes (sigh.)

I've been tobacco free for two years now. I started when I was 14 (I'm 43 now.) Cigs , cigars, plug, snuff, leaf... I used it all. I don't really miss it all that much, though there are strange times I still crave a dip or a smoke; when I'm taking a dump or during a shower, for example.

I used the patch and the thought of my kids growing up with a dad who doesn't have a tongue, a lower jaw, or growing up without a dad.

I know how tough it is. Good luck kicking it. I hope you do.

Well my better half and I made it today without a smoke, it truly is a boxing_smiley.gif. Instead we went for a 5.5 mile hilly trail run and then hiked up Sugarloaf for kicks, did an ab workout when I got home and if I get through work OK, then it will be another day. I'm redscovering parts of my lungs I haven't used in years. Muffy you're right, it's when you're busy that you don't think about one. However it's those breaks at work and driving that are tough times.

By the way NbyNW, I worked for a graphics design company back in Chicago like seven years ago. One of our biggest clients was the ad firm that did the Marlboro ads. We digitally gave the Marlboro man his scar on every ad. We also did MCDonalds' menus and created the burgers, since no McDonalds burger could ever look like real food cheeburga_ron.gif.

Wow, week three, time flies!

It was hard being at OR last weekend, totally out of my element, knowing almost no one, trying to sell my projects and my enthusiasm, nervous, out of my league.....and without my old friend the American Spirit. It was the toughest test thus far, and no one would have been the wiser if I had cheated...and yet, I made it.

It is starting to get easier. It must be, as I still can't believe I made it though that without having just one.

Plexus, break some bad habits, and get a good support network (Muffy and my SO have both been big big help), and you too can join the ranks. Best of luck...and Toast, of course now you may no longer bum from me at PC! grin.gif

I realize I am not out of the woods yet, but one thing that really helped me this time was a long slow taper-off period, during which I stopped smoking at the obvious times....after meanls, on the phone, while drinking, in the car, you get the idea.