vantage beta for oldtimer (with new rug rats)?

Matt_Anderson

Hey all, haven't been on this board (or climbing besides with my kids) for practically a decade. That said, I'm taking them to  Vantage this weekend, along with a friend and his daughter. I've got a few questions, if anyone's willing . . .

1) Current camping situation - can we only camp at the feathers, or is it cool down in echo basin? are there facilities or do we have to use a bag? Fires allowed? 

2) Anywhere to concentrate besides the feathers? Frankly, I've never even stopped to climb at the feathers, but the lack of exposure seems best for the 6, 7, and 8 year-old's that I'm bringing. If we need to move elsewhere, I suppose that I'd move over to cherry pick easy routes on the columns around sunshine wall. I know there's a lot of new development, is there any new low end stuff, that I should be aware of?

3) Biking opportunities? I'm keeping this open for an alternate activity. I seem to remember people hiking and biking on the old roads in echo basin. Any reason that's not still the case? Any better nearby low end mountain biking alternatives?

Thanks much!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Matt,

Vantage can be pretty fun with kids. I haven't been out there in a year but I doubt things have changed.

Camping:  

-The Feathers area is all I can confirm. I believe Echo basin is a different land agency.

-There is vault toilet in the main parking lot.

-I assume the burn ban has been lifted but I would check on that.

Climbing:

-The Feathers are a great place to start. There are some newish very easy routes in the NW side, these can be lead or TR and you can walk up if that makes things easier. Most the stuff on Sunshine wall is probably what you remember. River view area has some nice easy routes and is a little less hectic.

Biking:

-I always wanted to find some good mountain biking out there, but have not. A lot of the roads that you look at from Google Earth look good but are pretty rocky and have long streaches of sand. All of which are extra sucky with 16 and 20 inch wheels.

My Kid has always had a great time out there, climbing, scrambling around or just playing in the rocks.

By the way I think I know you from what feels like a million years ago. Mutual friend, Frank Olding?

Have fun,

Kris Thomas