Mt. Adams S. side conditions

AARON1

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was down there about a couple weeks ago and there was about a foot or two of snow down at Trout Lake and the forest road was completely snowed in from where it turned off of the plowed paved road. I think from the beginning of the road to the trailhead the mileage is about 12 miles (then you gotta add the 7 or so miles from the trailhead to the summit). I would think St. Helens would be a better choice for some turns in terms of accesibility (unless you would like to walk the 12miles up the road to the trailhead). laugh.gif

I drove up there last night. I was able to get about 3 miles up the road from the left hand turn onto the 80 road (tree across road).

That still puts you about 9 miles from the trailhead. With the tree out of the way you will probably be able to make it several more miles with a truck. The snow cover is very thin and rock hard, 6 inches or less. Rocks are already showing below the lunch counter.

That is about 4 - 5 miles from the start of the 80 road. I am feeling pretty confident (brave) and would almost bet that the road will open up to Morrison by the end of the month (but you probably won't see me parked up for a whole weekend though)

Here's to wishful thinking bigdrink.gif

b-rock: The trail up from Morrison Creek goes through a boulder field, which isn't very much fun. The trail meets up with the round-the-mountain trail and you can either head East to the normal Cold Springs route, head North up the SW chutes, or head West towards the west side routes, though the Crofton Butte trail provides better access for the West side. If you are looking to go up the Cold Springs trail i would just walk up to Cold Springs on the road.