[TR] [TR]Mount Pugh - Standard scramble route 09/19/2018

Zeno

Trip: [TR]Mount Pugh - Standard scramble route

Trip Date: 09/19/2018

Trip Report:

I went up Mt Pugh for the first time on Wednesday the 19th. Heavy fog and mist....I ended up not going all the way to the summit and turned back at the Stujack pass sign due to the fact that there was no visibility beyond, say, 25 feet and I was a bit light headed(possible due to high altitude).

I've been trying to find a topographic map of the mountain that shows the summit region in detail. How many other routes are there to the top besides the Stujack pass ridge? How would I get to them? Particularly if I go up the trail to the rock garden where the alpine meadow begins(assuming the fog isn't too dense!)?

Gear Notes:
Hiking pole.

Approach Notes:
Dense fog enshrouding the summit.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Zeno:

There are a bunch of routes but the standard route that you attempted is the most straightforward.  It's kind of a grind getting up there but a great training hike and scramble at the top.

Good job turning around when in doubt.  SAR rescued a young man just about a year ago who attempted the peak in similar conditions.  

DARRINGTON, Wash (AP) — The Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office says a 25-year-old Seattle man is safe after rescue crews helped him through a cold night near the summit of Mount Pugh, west of Glacier Peak.

The hiker called 911 from his cell phone at about 4 p.m. Saturday to say he had become separated from his hiking partner and was off the trail and lost in the fog near the 7,201-foot summit. He was wearing only light clothing and tennis shoes, and he wasn’t equipped to spend the night.

The sheriff’s office says more than 20 volunteers and a deputy responded, and they finally found him at about 6,300 feet, stuck on a small ledge along a cliff face and suffering symptoms of hypothermia. The rescuers helped him warm up and then walked him to safety at about 5:30 Sunday morning.

The man’s hiking partner safely made his way down Saturday evening.

29 minutes ago, Bronco said:

Hi Zeno:

There are a bunch of routes but the standard route that you attempted is the most straightforward.  It's kind of a grind getting up there but a great training hike and scramble at the top.

Good job turning around when in doubt.  SAR rescued a young man just about a year ago who attempted the peak in similar conditions.  

Do you have any links/maps of the other routes? I'm eager to see em. And yeah, some of the rocks were dripping with moisture. Slippery rocks in dense fog could lead to a fatal plunge there with those cliffs!