New climbing area (Monte Cristo Slab) and new guidebook

billcoe

Got invited out to a new area today. As we were discussing it, buddy noted that "it was in the guidebook". Sure as heck, there is a new guidebook and the area, Monte Cristo Slab, has 60 routes in it. Did some trail work, followed a few routes when Ivan and both Silvermans were smart enough to bring a rope and draws and also nice enough to let me tie in. The area has only bolts, plenty of them and they're in the right place. You can walk off or do multiple raps off, the slab is @250 feet tall. I suspect it's going to be insanely popular, despite being up past Willard, Wa. This is a granitic type rock (diorite) that will hone your mid-range grades before you head to the Valley. Good stuff. The cover shot is of the area. (copied from Powell's link)

9780999723302.jpg

Here's the link to buy the book. Jason (new dude I just met) had a copy, and I was able to peruse it. Saw that Hunchback is finally outed in a the guidebook too! That an plenty of bouldering areas.

http://www.powells.com/book/-9780999723302

Edited by billcoe

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not just dad friendly, but kid friendly as well. These guys bolted up one of the low angle slabs that most of us would think class4, just for kids. There's no cliff below they would fall off either, so even little kids could hang out. Some might find such a thing ridiculous or something we should ridicule, but if you consider little kids as the intended recipients, then it's an awesome thing.

Dayum Ivan, great shots! The 3 main weakness of the place is that the routes are all pretty close to the same, slab. Next is that it's not a consistent angle like glacier point, but lays back and gets too easy in lots of places.  3rd, the base needs work, so bring a saw and a Pulaski to help make it flat. Still, great place for a canckle workout and a fun days outing.  Get a book and get it now while it's still relatively unknown and uncrowded. They did a good job cleaning it all off, and we didn't wear helmets, Ivan, Geoff and Kyle had them but as you can see they were back on the ground. But if it gets crowded, there are still a few loose rocks here or there that a rope could easily kick off, worth bringing one and using it.

Edited by billcoe

• 3 weeks later...