[TR] Mt. Washington - North Ridge 09/01/2018

skimbleshanks

Trip: Mt. Washington - North Ridge

Trip Date: 09/01/2018

Trip Report:

Climbed Mt. Washington. Real fun. Straightforward approach up the north ridge to the notch before the summit block. 7 people ahead of us. They were kind and offered to belay my climbing partner and I from the top. The one move about 20 or so feet up the first pitch was kinda tricky. An undercling some reaching around and trust in the belayer above brought me over the hump. Real fun but exposed scrambling to the summit. I wouldn't blame anybody for staying roped up for the remaining pitches. Best options for protection would be slinging rock horns for the most part. OR small nuts or hexs smaller than an inch. Lots of um... not solid rock up there so not sure how much any gear would actually hold a fall in the cracks. Maybe knife blade pitons too. The 3 rappels down were fun and lots of nice people sharing ropes to get everybody up and down in good time. Back to the notch we chose to descend the scree field. It was ok. I was wearing shin height boots. Short boots or aproach shoes would have been filled with rock in a second though. The hike to the car was fast but we were tired and conversation wasnt as excited as it had been in the morning. Real fun climb. Way better than all the books say. Thanks Paul for answering my partner request here. 

Gear Notes:
Long slings. Real long.

Approach Notes:
Follow the trail turn left at the cairn and follow that trail.
  • Like 1