Looking for durable ski poles

keenwesh

I am tired of buying new lowers for BD expedition poles and bending/snapping them off multiple times a season. I'm tall, semi-uncordinated, and weigh 200 lbs, so I break a lot of gear. Big people out there, have you found a set of adjustable 2 piece poles that don't snap immediately?

I don't use ski poles in the summer, because I'd snap 'em. Got some fancy running poles that actually hold up quite well. A little hesitant to go CF, as generally they don't bend, they just snap catastrophically.

To further establish myself as a destroyer: I'm the only person the Scarpa NA reps have ever seen who broke the shank on a pair of 6000's. I've loosened the head of (not exaggerating) 10 nomics. I broke the canting bolt clean off a pair of LS ski boots. Don't buy used hardgoods from me.

• LMAO 1

• 2 months later...

I've seen a mid-weight friend break bamboo poles skinning with them, not falling, not flailing, just skinning.  And broken just below the grip, not at the normal spot near the basket.  I'd stay away.

I'm also in the Clydesdale class (>200lbs) and have had good luck with BD expedition poles.  You've got to be rough on gear if you go through those as much as you do.  I don't know what's tougher other than cheap, one-piece aluminum poles.  They won't be light or adjustable but they are tough and consumable.  I'd check thrift stores.

I got some panda poles that are super burley and came without straps, saving the hassle of cutting them off. There's some kind of warranty involved, so if I somehow destroy them it shouldn't be a problem. Not light, but should function great for everything besides big mountain skimo shredding. Cone shaped baskets don't grab the trees nearly as much as conventional. Happy so far. They're poley poles.

https://www.pandapoles.com/products/panda-pole

Edited by keenwesh

Keenan, for a guy your size with your energy, theres no such thing as a "durable" ski pole.  Hell, even a little guy like me has broken at least one of every pair of trekking poles I've ever owned...  so I focus on buying poles whose components are compatible with my leftovers.  I probably have a lifetime supply of components now...

-Haireball