Smoke Conditions in Stuart Range?

Slow Go

Have a trip planned to climb Stuart/Enchantments area this weekend. Coming in from Idaho and wondering about smoke in the alpine.

Anyone been up there in the last couple days? Is the Cougar Creek fire pushing enough smoke in that direction to make it unenjoyable to climb? Any info would be appreciated! Thanks!!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Darin. I've been checking that and the Mtn Home Lodge cam, both have looked depressing the last couple days. Kinda hoping the air might be cleaner in the alpine? But now I'm worried it might not be worth the drive this weekend...or changing objectives to boston basin or darrington area. Never know until you go. Regardless, thanks for the reply!

Nice. I thought I'd found all the wildland fire/smoke websites, but haven't seen that one! That makes things look pretty good for this weekend too. I guess I have mixed feelings about that b/c I imagine the incoming winds prob aren't good for firefighting crews, but I'm happy that they may blow smoke out of the stuart range. thanks 

Smoke forecasts can be powerful, but there can be local effects in valleys and mountains that push things around quite a bit on a daily basis. On the down side you might not get the best distance photos. On the plus side, you might see some great sunsets!

Thanks for the comments/info on this thread. I made the trip and climbed N. Ridge with a buddy on 18-19th and it was pretty darn smoky, but not totally unpleasant. Approach and bottom half of ridge on 18th was less smoky than the upper and descent on Sunday. Winds must have shifted at some point to push the smoke south/southwest from Cougar Creek fire.

Such a phenomenal climb, turns out you don't necessarily have to have vistas to have fun (though they would have been nice). Def no distance photos, Sherpa was just barely a silhouette, but like Rad said we had cool sunrise/sunset. Otherwise, climbed in perpetual orange dawn/dusk light all day long, which was kind of eerie.

E40B0A12-C751-4929-A2BA-57AED4D34DE6.jpeg

29194339-FB96-4076-ABB5-7FCE5B961E96.jpeg

DBB5728F-DFA7-4906-84DF-9C53B64E3156.jpeg

Edited by Slow Go