Latok I North Ridge Rescue?

Choada_Boy

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember a similar thing a bunch of years ago, on Nanga Parpat’s Rupal Face. 

I watched this one play out for the last week or so, on mountain.ru. I also figured he was a goner, bur still held out hope, until late last night.  I got chills down my spine when they posted: “Saved!”

Russian climbers are hard dudes, though, so I am not too surprised. They almost summited, again, this was their second attempt. His partner fell with most of their gear. F#ck that!

Wow. I'd also read the accounts from this past weekend and guessed that he was toast. So great to hear a happy ending in the mountains. Sounds like he could have been torn apart like a medieval tortue rack victim if the anchor had been any stronger.

Phew! 

Maybe the mountain spirits are telling him to take up golf...

3 hours ago, Choada_Boy said:

I remember a similar thing a bunch of years ago, on Nanga Parpat’s Rupal Face. 

I watched this one play out for the last week or so, on mountain.ru. I also figured he was a goner, bur still held out hope, until late last night.  I got chills down my spine when they posted: “Saved!”

Russian climbers are hard dudes, though, so I am not too surprised. They almost summited, again, this was their second attempt. His partner fell with most of their gear. F#ck that!

So is it true they were using dulfersitz because a rappel device was too heavy to carry?   Seems a bit unreasonable to expect someone to risk their neck to save you when you cut your margins that thin.   And then to leave yourself anchored to both chopper and wall.  Yikes.

Taken from AAI:

There are a few mental tools that we use when we instruct people how to climb safer and better. One of these is the use of acronyms to remember the components of safe anchor systems. Fortunately, these are becoming part of the average climber's vocabulary. The three that are most commonly used are SERENE + ERNEST + HELICOPTER. Here's what they stand for:

Solid (or strong)
Equalized
Redundant
Efficient
No
Extension

+

Equalized
Redunant
No
Extension
Solid (or strong)