• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Choada_Boy

Latok I North Ridge Rescue?

Now that is amazing. I thought he was a dead man.  That must have been exciting to have his anchor blow apart while he was being pulled by the helo.

I remember a similar thing a bunch of years ago, on Nanga Parpat’s Rupal Face. 

I watched this one play out for the last week or so, on mountain.ru. I also figured he was a goner, bur still held out hope, until late last night.  I got chills down my spine when they posted: “Saved!”

Russian climbers are hard dudes, though, so I am not too surprised. They almost summited, again, this was their second attempt. His partner fell with most of their gear. F#ck that!

Wow. I'd also read the accounts from this past weekend and guessed that he was toast. So great to hear a happy ending in the mountains. Sounds like he could have been torn apart like a medieval tortue rack victim if the anchor had been any stronger.

Phew! 

Maybe the mountain spirits are telling him to take up golf...

3 hours ago, Choada_Boy said:

I remember a similar thing a bunch of years ago, on Nanga Parpat’s Rupal Face. 

I watched this one play out for the last week or so, on mountain.ru. I also figured he was a goner, bur still held out hope, until late last night.  I got chills down my spine when they posted: “Saved!”

Russian climbers are hard dudes, though, so I am not too surprised. They almost summited, again, this was their second attempt. His partner fell with most of their gear. F#ck that!

So is it true they were using dulfersitz because a rappel device was too heavy to carry?   Seems a bit unreasonable to expect someone to risk their neck to save you when you cut your margins that thin.   And then to leave yourself anchored to both chopper and wall.  Yikes.

I had also read that they were using the dulfersitz rappel.

What a horrible situation to be in after watching your partner perish.

Glad he was able to be rescued, you think he'll give it another go?

52 minutes ago, dberdinka said:

So is it true they were using dulfersitz because a rappel device was too heavy to carry?

WHAT??!!  :noway:

Taken from AAI:

There are a few mental tools that we use when we instruct people how to climb safer and better. One of these is the use of acronyms to remember the components of safe anchor systems. Fortunately, these are becoming part of the average climber's vocabulary. The three that are most commonly used are SERENE + ERNEST + HELICOPTER. Here's what they stand for:

Solid (or strong)
Equalized
Redundant
Efficient
No
Extension

+

Equalized
Redunant
No
Extension
Solid (or strong)
Timely

+

Helicopter-proof

Edited by layton

From Supertopo: "

262345_2175_XSS.jpg
pell

climber
Moscow
shim.gif
Aug 1, 2018 - 12:15am PT
We call it dulfer in Russia no matter which exact rope descending technique is used. Correct translation is rappel/rappeling. Also NO COLLUSION

"

Wow.  On so many levels.

One.  The attempt.  Ballsy.

Two. He lives for many days after his partner dies.

Three.  The rescue.