2-way radios

gmoney

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(paraphrased) you're using FRS illegally if you broadcast unlicensed, but there are some huge fines involved if they did try to catch you.

Iain, what's your source for that statement? I'd dispute it based on the fact that there's no paperwork stating such in the box when you buy the things...at least with the ones I bought. wink.gif

(paraphrased) you're using FRS illegally if you broadcast unlicensed, but there are some huge fines involved if they did try to catch you.

Iain, what's your source for that statement? I'd dispute it based on the fact that there's no paperwork stating such in the box when you buy the things...at least with the ones I bought. wink.gif

well you certainly did paraphrase because FRS does not require a license! I am talking about the more-powerful GMRS radios that look quite similar to FRS radios but transmit at a higher wattage and on different UHF frequencies than FRS. They are generally more expensive than FRS units. They also can be found side-by-side on store shelves.

Here's a good page for info on GMRS and how it compares to FRS:

GMRS Info

well you certainly did paraphrase because FRS does not require a license! I am talking about the more-powerful GMRS radios that look quite similar to FRS radios but transmit at a higher wattage and on different UHF frequencies than FRS. They are generally more expensive than FRS units. They also can be found side-by-side on store shelves.

Here's a good page for info on GMRS and how it compares to FRS:

GMRS Info

Sorry, I saw the edit in the previous post and assumed it was related to your post...bad reading....my bad.

I've got no idea what GMRS is....probably a good thing, too. What with the Blackhawks lurking around and all.

Cool?

I am interested in getting a pair of radios to use while rock climbing. I was thinking that UHF radios on the FRS band would be the best. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I just bought a pair of Motorola T5420s from Best Buy for $49.95 minus a $15 rebate. They are FRS with 14 channels and 38 codes.

You can compare different Motorola radios here. The top of the line models have barometric altimeters, thermometers, electronic compasses, and weather channel receivers.

FYI, The GMRS do say it on the box and on most web sites you can buy them off of. There is an FCC license fee to use that functionality.

From REI:

Today's popular handheld two-way radios operate on two frequency bands: Family Radio Service (FRS) and General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS). You can typically choose from FRS-only or FRS/GMRS hybrid radios.

The FCC created the FRS in 1996, reserving a portion of the broadcasting spectrum for radios with a power output of half a watt (500mW) and a maximum range of two miles. It was this designation that sparked the recent two-way radio popularity explosion.

GMRS began in the 1940s and was originally allocated for commercial use. This band is designated for radios with outputs of 1-5 watts and maximum ranges of up to 5 miles. Today manufacturers offer numerous recreational radios that utilize GMRS, often in conjunction with FRS. The FCC continues to regulate GMRS and requires a license for the use of radios that broadcast to this band. The fee for a 5-year family GMRS license is currently $75 (November 2002). Unlike other types of radio licensing, you are not required to take a test before you receive a GMRS license. Go to www.fcc.gov for more information on licensing.

I got a $60 pair of cheapies. They work fine. They have only been used for basic climbing communication as a convienience, though it's still good to jive with yer partner in such a way that non-verbal climbing communication still works, the radios just help take the mystery out of it.

• 1 month later...

I have owned several sets of FRS radios from Motorolla, Cobra and one other cheapie. The ones that I use now and the only ones that really work, skiing, car caravaning, biking, ect. are the Motorolla talkabout with the extended 5 mile range. they are tough and have great reception.

Good luck

Jake

thumbs_up.gif