Descend Burgundy Col without an axe?

DangGreenie

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be aware that there currently is a fire in Pine creek, one drainage north from Cutthroat Lake/Creek.  If the Wine Spires area is not currently closed, it is possible that it will be soon.  Okanogan-Wenatchee NF's Facebook page seems to have the most up to date information from them.  There is currently nothing on their website.

Here is a link to the Inciweb report for the Cutthroat Fire.  https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6054/  This will likely be kept up to date.

Once the fire closure is cleared, I would think you can get by without an ax. I did this route in early August a few years ago and we didn't have to touch snow. We stashed bikes below Burgundy and biked back around to our car to save some miles. 

The three times I've been up there, the snow melts out on the northern (skiers left as you descend eastward from the col) aspect first and there's been a way to avoid the snow hugging that northern aspect.  Snow is only mandatory if you're heading south (e.g. to Rebel Yell).

Climbed Clean Break yesterday as a carry over from Silverstar creek. We didn't encounter any snow at all and except for some nasty off route bushwacking on the descent it was pretty mellow. I'd highly recommend this over approaching from burgundy which I've heard is just as much effort as approaching from silverstar.

Regarding the fire, it looked almost completely out and very under control. They threw a lot of resources at that thing and it looked like it worked.

It's a stellar route and you should definitely get on it! 

• 2 weeks later...