CC.com Traffic Decrease?

cgolden123

I miss the heyday of cc.com.  It did get a bit spicy here for a while, but the flamers just added color along with the other characters here, imo, and the worst of it was easily ignored (also, I thought the mods did a good job of balancing freedom of expression and maintaining civil discussion).  I found it great entertainment and was my first choice for distraction from work.  Great climbing beta, ideas and inspiration and helpful when I had specific questions, which is what originally brought me here.  I was on here daily for a few years.  Now I am here less than once/month and it could be less as not much happens in that time.  I climb a lot less now that I have a family and more work responsibility, but will still come when I need beta.  My only regret was not coming out to one of the rope-ups or sausage parties to meet all you weirdos.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, jon said:

I'm really surprised to read this bit and it's a pretty unfair version of history,

Here's a sample, Jon. I'm far from the only one who was on the receiving end of this sort of thing.

"Topic:   I have nothing but pain for you

Did you uh like wanna get your fucking ass kicked? Feel free to give me a call 206/235-9497 or drop by sometime. I'd be happy to come over there though and fuck you up face to face smart guy/girl (makes no bones to me-you wanna mess with the best then live up to it). I'll be the 230lb ex ranger motherfucker looking pissed and highly qualified to thump your ass.

Otherwise shut the fuck up and try to go head to head with someone in the minor leagues like you shitbird. GOT IT!"

@CascadeClimber I received those too, and you know that. I am sorry that happened to you, and you definitely did not deserve it, as did anyone else. I can assure if anyone received harassment it was me. I'm not disputing that part, but to say we didn't do anything about it isn't accurate whatsoever, and those two/three guys were gone far before the site "peaked". Should we have done something about it sooner and more forcefully, yes. Are there other people who were also were problematic we should have gotten rid of sooner. Probably yes. But dare I say it this also happened 17 years ago! Is it really fair for us to keep getting dragged through the mud about decisions we made that long ago that we have learned from an moved on from? We also could have done everything right back then and still be in the same place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jon said:

@CascadeClimber  Is it really fair for us to keep getting dragged through the mud about decisions we made that long ago that we have learned from an moved on from? We also could have done everything right back then and still be in the same place.

With the topic of the post it's relevant; it's, in my opinion, a significant part of the explanation of what happened to the quality content here. I'm not saying you weren't in a difficult position. And, that sort of thing went on, in the open for all to see (and in PMs) for a long, long time. So people left. Myself included. As noted in this very thread, some people thought it was 'normal' and/or 'entertaining'. It wasn't.

4 hours ago, CascadeClimber said:

Here's a sample, Jon. I'm far from the only one who was on the receiving end of this sort of thing.

"Topic:   I have nothing but pain for you

Did you uh like wanna get your fucking ass kicked? Feel free to give me a call 206/235-9497 or drop by sometime. I'd be happy to come over there though and fuck you up face to face smart guy/girl (makes no bones to me-you wanna mess with the best then live up to it). I'll be the 230lb ex ranger motherfucker looking pissed and highly qualified to thump your ass.

Otherwise shut the fuck up and try to go head to head with someone in the minor leagues like you shitbird. GOT IT!"

I got virtually the same private message from that douche.  I took it for what it was: a lot of empty bluster.  I don't think that BS had anything to do with decreased site traffic.  Its primarily because of social media.  I personally moved onto other pursuits and stopped hanging out here out of a lack of interest.  I'm starting to feel the itch again so here I am sniffing around and lo and behold its the same old-timers!  

holee chit.

How the hell you ladies doin?

p.s. Part of the reason I stopped sharing trip reports is when one of my very most favorite spots was shared on a regional magazine and is now overrun with gapers.  

Edited by rbw1966
  • Rawk on! 1

RBW!!!

well though this site has always had more than its share of jackasses, there have been many gems as well;  sometimes they were even the same people.  I've met many friends and climbing partners and even my charming (??) curmudgeonly husband because of this site; so I have a lot to thank it for. 

I met rbw through wreckdotclimbing, though; talk about the primitive pre-social media days, wow.

Edited by tanstaafl
punctuation
  • Like 4

Wow, RBW visitation, that's awesome. One of the good guys I've missed around here, good to see you!.

CascadeClimber, sorry you got treated that way, I can't recall anything you've ever posted that was out of line. As moderators we were never privvy to anyone's private messages unless they were forwarded to us, so certainly I was unaware of the degree of bile those boys spewed on the people who actually made this a good place. They're long gone, but sadly they've left their mark behind. It was neither normal nor entertaining.

Anyway, this place is still worthwhile, just a lot calmer. People take their vitriol to Facebook or other social media these days, and there is still a lot of information and good people here. Spray is now a worldwide phenomena, you don't have to come here to insult strangers anymore.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CascadeClimber said:

As noted in this very thread, some people thought it was 'normal' and/or 'entertaining'. It wasn't.

Just to be clear, I wasn't implying that physical threats are entertaining or appropriate.  I don't condone that.  Sorry if I gave that impression.  But some of the repartee between regulars (TTK, KKK, Kevbone, Fairweather and many others) was pure gold (and non violent).  I do recall Spray was guarded by a warning that it was not for the thin skinned.

Edited by bstach

8 hours ago, rbw1966 said:

Welcome to my world

was reminiscing just today on how, 15 years ago today, i was preparing for a north face of hood ascent w/ you n' a gang of fools despite the fact the wife was pregnant and it was 20 degrees out in portland :)

Holee fuck--its been 15 years? Well, slap mah fro!  That was certainly not a forgettable experience for me--sitting in my car waiting for you perfect idiots to show up. 

Off_white you are truly a gentleman and a scholar.  I was just listening to a mix-cd you had made for me.  Remember that?

• Like 1

On 10/30/2018 at 1:41 PM, CascadeClimber said:

With the topic of the post it's relevant; it's, in my opinion, a significant part of the explanation of what happened to the quality content here. I'm not saying you weren't in a difficult position. And, that sort of thing went on, in the open for all to see (and in PMs) for a long, long time. So people left. Myself included. As noted in this very thread, some people thought it was 'normal' and/or 'entertaining'. It wasn't.

So let me ask you, what in your opinion will get those people who left back on here?

I wasn't here in the heyday. I haven't really been here at all compared to most. I have however seen a similar trajectory with other sites. Based on that experience I don't think the bad actors have much to do with it. That was a struggle pretty much every site went through. Having been a member of other forums that were very heavily moderated to eliminate such behavior I have seen them suffer the same fate. Frankly worse. Most of them are boneyards now with a couple folks trying to hang on. Some of them are completely gone. All of the convo moved to FB. Maybe its left there for IG or twitter now I don't know. Having never gotten on board with the new wave social stuff it has left me behind. And I'm OK with that.

In the early days the workplace hadn't really matured to deal with internet access. I think there were a lot of people with desk jobs whose work demands hadn't caught up with the increase in productivity afforded by the internet. I.e. it was easy to slack and spend most of the day attending the virtual water cooler.

Message board forums are really suited to desktop computer use. Mobile forum software just insn't as easy on a phone as a FB thumbs up or a tweet blast. Not to mention assembling a quality TR. So the transition to mobile has also beena big part I think.

I still appreciate the TR history here and the fact that people still post them up. I hope it can stay alive.

• Like 2